D&D Movie/TV Drizzt original role filled by Xenk the Paladin.

Doesn't surprise me, I was reminded of the Drizzt cameo in Baldur's Gate, where he kills dozens of gnolls, when I saw the movie. You could replace Xenk with Drizzt without affecting the story at all.

But it was the right decision, Drizzt is decidedly unfunny, has no name recognition outside hardcore D&D fandom, and inside the fandom is hated by as many people as he is loved.

Drizzt would not have been as good a fit to the tone of the movie, certainly. While they could've done the same schtick with Drizzt as Xenk, playing him completely straight as an overly angsty, edgy, and broody character, I think it wouldn't have had the same comedic weight. And could've potentially backfired by feeling more like they were making fun of him.

Dire Bare

Legend
That would not have been the way to introduce Drizz't. They made the right call.
Agree, although Drizzt would not have been characterized in the same way . . . he just would have been the powerful NPC that outshines the regular PCs for a few scenes.

Xenk worked because he was humorously over the top paladin-style, Drizzt is a much more serious character.

Undrave

Legend
It works better with Xenk being a Thayan, since Edgin has a backstory with the Red Wizards of Thay, it makes sense he would distrust Xenk and be difficult with him. Him hating Drizzt for no reason or having to add unnecessary anti-Drow sentiment to the movie wouldn't have worked as smoothly.

Does the NPC file reveal what kind of Paladin is Xenk?

Ondath

Hero
It works better with Xenk being a Thayan, since Edgin has a backstory with the Red Wizards of Thay, it makes sense he would distrust Xenk and be difficult with him. Him hating Drizzt for no reason or having to add unnecessary anti-Drow sentiment to the movie wouldn't have worked as smoothly.

Does the NPC file reveal what kind of Paladin is Xenk?
I remember him mentioning something about the magic of the ancients right before he leaves, so perhaps he's an Oath of the Ancients Paladin?

Drizzt could have made a decent end-credits cameo (maybe have him standing waiting at an epic looking place, only for a producer to come along and inform him that he won't be needed for the movie) but I agree that they didn't want to lock in an actor.
Neat. This is much better, though. Right up until his last appearance, I was uncertain whether Xenk was going to turn out to be a bad guy posing as a good one -- the hints that what he went through on the night that the Red Death was unleashed "changed him" increased my suspicions -- where if Drizzt showed up, there would be none of that ambiguity.

I shared your uncertainty about Xenk though considering Hugh Grant's Forge was already filling the "wolf-in-sheep's clothing" role, I didn't think they were going to drink from that same well twice in the same film. But yeah, Xenk's intensity definitely made me think "I wonder...." a few times.
I was wondering if he was going to show up for the climax -- like the PCs are taking on the one Thayan wizard, but she is about to gate in a bunch of baddies, only for Xenk and his party to swoop in and take on those opponents.

Remove ads