D&D Movie/TV Paramount+ Will Not Proceed with Dungeons & Dragons Live-Action TV Show

Hasbro will update the project and pitch to other networks and streamers

Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 11.37.53 AM.png

Deadline reports that the live-action Dungeons & Dragons television series will not continue at Paramount+. The show was originally announced in January 2023 as Paramount+ placed an eight episode straight-to-series order. Normally that’s the best you can hope for in terms of a guarantee of the show happening as the show would produce the entire first season instead of needing to make a pilot to be approved.

Two big corporate changes happened since then, however. First, Hasbro sold the show’s co-producer Entertainment One to Lionsgate in December 2023 and shifted the production to Hasbro Entertainment. Currently, Paramount is searching for a buyer for the company with the current front runner according to reports being Sony Pictures, who have partnered with private equity firms to place a rumored $26 billion offer for the studio.

Little was announced about the plot other than it would be character-focused and involve the Underdark. These tidbits plus the fact that the character of Xenk from the 2023 film Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves was originally intended to be Drizzt Do'Urden but changed during pre-production led to speculation that the series would be an adaptation of the Drizzt novels, particularly the origin story novel Homeland.

Creator Rawson Marshall Thurber (Red Notice, Easy A, Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story) and showrunner Drew Crevello (The Grudge 2, WeCrashed) are still attached to the project. Hasbro will repackage and update the pitch for the show and stop it around to other distributors.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

Related but unrelated the Furiosa movie is tanking.

I saw it. Definitely worth seeing not as good as Fury Road but that's a very high bar. Furiosa is better than anything else I have seen since probably Andor, but quality doesn't equal $$$.

Studios hate risk and the D&D movie under performing obviously didn't help plans for a TV show.

Anyway go check out Furiosa

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Well poop. Given the the characters showing up on the covers of the new books, I think we have a better chance of seeing an remake of the the classic D&D cartoon. Animation is less expensive and less of a risk.

Zardnaar

Legend
Related but unrelated the Furiosa movie is tanking.

I saw it. Definitely worth seeing not as good as Fury Road but that's a very high bar. Furiosa is better than anything else I have seen since probably Andor, but quality doesn't equal $$$.

Studios hate risk and the D&D movie under performing obviously didn't help plans for a TV show.

Anyway go check out Furiosa

I've heard it's good but Fury Road didn't make a massive amount of money along with the 80s ones.

Budgets are getting out of hand with unrealistic expectations.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads