• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DRM portability question

Bagpuss

Legend
Zappo said:
Did you try to copy it from a computer to another? That wouldn't work.

I think you didn't read the original post, or even the topic title, we are talking about transfering these files from one PC to another.

Bagpuss

Legend
RCanning said:
Lots and lots of discussion about this on this forum.

I know but I was looking for an actually solution and so didn't want to sift thourgh a whole debate about if DRM was good or bad, or if the publishers were going to shift PDF's or not or priacy, etc.

I just wanted a "Do this, and this and there you go." Sort of answer. Or even a "No it's not possible." answer.

Gez

First Post
You can, but you need things like GuaPDF...

At worst, you can always use Alt-Printscreen and an OCR program, so DRM is pointless anyway.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Gez said:
You can, but you need things like GuaPDF...

At worst, you can always use Alt-Printscreen and an OCR program, so DRM is pointless anyway.

At least until Windows Longhorn which will be able to disable even that...

(sorry for the diversion, Bagpuss)

Psion

Adventurer
So my question is, can I just copy the individual DRM file, like I could with a normal PDF or do I have to use the Backup feature for it to work?

As much as I hate to tech assist for DTRPG...

You can copy the file, which is normally placed in "MyEbooks" under your my docs directory. You cannot download it again (why, I don't know, if the mechanism is as bulletproof as they claim. It seems like you aren't really buying the file, but access to the encryption key. BID.)

Anyway, copy that file to a CD or flash drive. Whatever.

Go to your new computer. On adobe 6 reader, activate your DRM feature (it's in one of the menus; I forget which.) Open the file. You should be good to go.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I don't think you are going to be able to port to another PC, I thought I had heard that DRM was attached to PC. Meaning you basicly only can open from the PDF from the machine original assigned to it, this also means you loose ability to open old PDF when you get a new PC!

I mean, if any one with a DRM could open the PDF what good is the protection, everyone would have the DRM or a shared fake one.

I may be wrong on this...

Last edited:

Gez

First Post
Plane Sailing said:

Will Longhorn also disable snapping a pic of your screen with a digital camera, transmitting it to the PC, and then OCR-ing ?

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Gez said:
Will Longhorn also disable snapping a pic of your screen with a digital camera, transmitting it to the PC, and then OCR-ing ?

Happily we will be able to get away with that ;) although the OCR will have a bit more difficulty, I imagine :D

Bendris Noulg

First Post
Gez said:
I've seen a documentaries on ecologists bringing endangered species of monkeys back to wildlife.

First, you take a monkey born and bred in captivity. Your monkey was raised to buy books, tapes and discs.

Slowly, you have to teach him how to find it by himself in nature. For that, you introduce slowly a natural environment to him, by establishing broadband Internet connections.

Once the monkey starts to know how to thrives all by himself, discovering his first Napsters, Kazaa, P2P, and other W4r3Z FTP, he is ready for being put back in the wild. Then come the most delicate maneuver: The monkey has always considered you to be his friend, provider of goods and foods, his mom; you have to teach him to go away from you, to fear you. To do that, you immerse the monkey in his new Internet home, and then you threaten and attack him with spectacular lawsuits and DRM. The monkey will think you've became mad, flee, and never again approach you or another human, making him safe from poachers.

It's the only logical explanation to these industries' strategy.
Now this makes sense.

Bagpuss

Legend
Plane Sailing said:

Considering that people in the DRM threads are complaining that Acrobat 6 doesn't seem to work on Win 98, I don't think their will be a huge rush to up date to a crippled version of windows.

Remove ads