• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Dropping/Scattering ojects for Animatel Objects spell

Shin Okada

Explorer
Assuming a PC wizard carries 10 tiny or small objects (say, small metal balls in a bag, daggers or darts in a special bandoleer, arrows in a quiver and such), what is the quickest way to make them "not being worn or carried"? What kind of action or actions will he need to scatter 10 of such objects on the ground?

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Hmm. Dropping an item is a free action, but that doesn't really cover grabbing a pouch and dumping the contents. Personally I think the impact of calling it a full action on the action economy is a little strong. Maybe call it a free action if the player can explain how they have made it quick. I have the same issues with catapult. I wanted to have a alchemist that used catapult to fling flasks of greek fire and whatnot, but the rules really get in the way.

Oofta

Legend
We always just said it was their no cost object interaction for the round - grab the things and drop.

You could always put them into a fragile container of some sort I guess. Dropping it to the ground should be simple enough.

In other words, ask your DM.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
Here's the rule for spreading caltrops, which be a useful starting point to make a ruling:
Caltrops. As an action, you can spread a bag of caltrops to cover a square area that is 5 feet on a side. Any creature that enters the area must succeed on a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw or stop moving this turn and take 1 piercing damage. Taking this damage reduces the creature's walking speed by 10 feet until the creature regains at least 1 hit point. A creature moving through the area at half speed doesn't need to make the save.

jgsugden

Legend
I'd call it your interaction with object for the round to get it out and a free action to dump I the ground. If, however, you want to place them anywhere other than your space, that will require your action.

One thing to consider, is that since using caltrops requires 1 action, dumping a bunch of small objects on the ground and then animating them should not take longer to do. Since casting the spell already requires an action, dumping the items should not. Otherwise the wizard might as well bring caltrops, and we'd be discouraging this clever strategy. And honestly, I think that would be a shame. So I'd make it a free action, so the whole thing can be done in 1 round, just as using caltrops can be done.

However, as stated above, throwing the items further than where you are standing should be 1 action.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
If a magic user can retrieve components from a pouch as part of casting a spell in one action, they can dump some coins, metal balls, rocks, etc. out of a pouch to cast animate objects. Think of the objects as material components for the spell. The spell doesn't require material components to cast so the hands are free to dump the objects as part of the somatic gestures for casting the spell.

We always just said it was their no cost object interaction for the round - grab the things and drop.

You could always put them into a fragile container of some sort I guess. Dropping it to the ground should be simple enough.

In other words, ask your DM.

Yeah, this is pretty much the "correct" way to do it, and I daresay it's the RAI.

If you try and do anything else you just get the Wizard/Bard buying a what amounts to a pen-pot, clipping it to their belt, filling it with knives and forks, and using their "object interaction" on it to dump it out (which is definitely RAW/RAI allowed) so they can cast Animate Objects.

Remove ads