• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Drow Religous Training for their Youth

Vaslov

Explorer
In a recent game I had a player approach a Drow Priestess of Lolth and make a large donation to have his daughter, a half drow and also a PC, learn the ways of Lolth. As the DM this is an unexpected story telling gift I cannot wait to explore.

I am thinking this will be like many real world culture or religious coming of age training and ceremonies. She will go through a series of classes and minor tasks which would teach her about a major aspect of Lolth and provide a challenge to prove her worth. This being Drow, Lolth and all of course it needs to have it's own twisted sense of morality.

For example having her learn about Lolth's early days of trying to please others to only have it cause her harm. The lesson is of course please thyself and to turn others to do your bidding. The player would then be tasked with manipulating a village adult with doing something against their nature without the use of direct coercive force.

I am seeking ideas for aspects and challenges for the player. What evil ideas do my fellow ENWorlders can come up with?

In case it helps the creative side of things the Drow in this city are a minor culture group is a large human city. Most of the Drow here are cultural cast offs who came here to escape Lolth and the typical lifestyle of the Drow. The player is a rogue-alchemist with and the character does not have any real interest in becoming a priest, just learning the ways of her people. Her father's stated reason for doing this is to help her develop contacts to to learn how to make more potent poisons.

Thanks in advance.

nedjer

Adventurer
In a recent game I had a player approach a Drow Priestess of Lolth and make a large donation to have his daughter, a half drow and also a PC, learn the ways of Lolth. As the DM this is an unexpected story telling gift I cannot wait to explore.

I am thinking this will be like many real world culture or religious coming of age training and ceremonies. She will go through a series of classes and minor tasks which would teach her about a major aspect of Lolth and provide a challenge to prove her worth. This being Drow, Lolth and all of course it needs to have it's own twisted sense of morality.

For example having her learn about Lolth's early days of trying to please others to only have it cause her harm. The lesson is of course please thyself and to turn others to do your bidding. The player would then be tasked with manipulating a village adult with doing something against their nature without the use of direct coercive force.

I am seeking ideas for aspects and challenges for the player. What evil ideas do my fellow ENWorlders can come up with?

In case it helps the creative side of things the Drow in this city are a minor culture group is a large human city. Most of the Drow here are cultural cast offs who came here to escape Lolth and the typical lifestyle of the Drow. The player is a rogue-alchemist with and the character does not have any real interest in becoming a priest, just learning the ways of her people. Her father's stated reason for doing this is to help her develop contacts to to learn how to make more potent poisons.

Thanks in advance.

I'd see the cult as an insidious bunch - could be looking to turn her into an informer/ manipulator of the cast offs, entice her with the benefits of priesthood, use as distributor for poisons . . . how evil do you want to go . . . might be a time when her cast off/ dissident dad presented a conflict of interests.

arthurhoneyhill

First Post
If you don't mind taking ideas from others, read some of the Driz'zt books. Homeland takes place mainly in a drow city, and there is much Lolth imagery. Lots of spiders and knives and sacrifice. I imagine much of the training involves combat training and domination.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Also, the first book of Elaine Cunningham's Starlight & Shadows trilogy, Daugther of the Drow is full of what you are asking about.

Remove ads