D&D 5E Druid Class, Wildshape: Which feats are retained when in Wildshape form?

Dausuul

Legend
I would rule that all feats carry over unless they are something that the new form would clearly make unusable (e.g., Sharpshooter for a form incapable of using ranged weapons). However, physical stat bumps from feats would not apply, since the new form overrides your physical stats with the beast's. Mental stat bumps would of course carry over.

(Physical stat bumps not carrying over is more about simplicity than balance. Wild shape is already too complex for my taste.)

Last edited:

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
Wild shape entry says that...

I would rule that...

No, simply because it...

Lastly, my ruling on Mobile came from this...

That's easy. Whatever makes sense. :) ...

Thanks everyone for the feedback, was an interesting read. If you enjoying playing druids may like to check this out. Let me know if it works and any improvements you'd like to see

Cheers.

Grant Casey

First Post
So what about Tough? How does that apply? Does my animal have a level, or does my character level carry over?
Your hit point maximum increases by an amount equal to twice your level when you gain this feat. Whenever you gain a level thereafter, your hit point maximum increases by an additional 2 hit points.
If I'm a Giant Hyena (Moon Circle) and am a level 8 character, would I have a 45+16 = 61 max HP?

And further to that... since I keep my racial traits that apply... then does the +1 HP from my racial Dwarf feature also apply to my Wild Shape?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
My moon druid has Mobile, which we ruled stacks with his wild shape form (so his speed is always the animals speed +10 ft)

I’d say that’s a pretty clear RAW.

Also fun, if you’re multiclassed, you can use stuff from the other class while in Wild Shape, as long as you’re physically capable of doing so.

So, Monk Unarmored Movement, Deflect Missiles (but not the redirect part unless you’re in an already form, I’d say), Barbarian Unarmored Defense and Rage, possibly Paladin’s Smite is even.

So what about Tough? How does that apply? Does my animal have a level, or does my character level carry over?

If I'm a Giant Hyena (Moon Circle) and am a level 8 character, would I have a 45+16 = 61 max HP?

And further to that... since I keep my racial traits that apply... then does the +1 HP from my racial Dwarf feature also apply to my Wild Shape?

Note this bit: "when you gain this feat". Only your natural form gains extra hp, you can't benefit from it twice.

I’d say that’s a pretty clear RAW.

Also fun, if you’re multiclassed, you can use stuff from the other class while in Wild Shape, as long as you’re physically capable of doing so.

So, Monk Unarmored Movement, Deflect Missiles (but not the redirect part unless you’re in an already form, I’d say), Barbarian Unarmored Defense and Rage, possibly Paladin’s Smite is even.

Wildshapes into a slug...

It's actually not 100% obvious. You might hypothetically wildshape into something with a movement speed of 0. That creature would not be equipped to move, so it wouldn't benefit. Where it becomes difficult is if you wildshape into a creature that can move, but only very slowly.

doctorbadwolf

Wildshapes into a slug...

It's actually not 100% obvious. You might hypothetically wildshape into something with a movement speed of 0. That creature would not be equipped to move, so it wouldn't benefit. Where it becomes difficult is if you wildshape into a creature that can move, but only very slowly.

A Druid4/Monk4 in slug form would have at least an 11ft speed, because the slug moves, it just moves less than 5 feet per round, maybe 1 ft. If a DM wants to rule otherwise bc it messes with their simulation senses, that’s between them and their group.

I don’t think that any “beasts” have a 0 speed, naturally.

True, there are no stated beasts with a speed of zero, but there are some animals that are immobile, at least as adults. Sea Anemones, Mussels, corals etc.

doctorbadwolf

True, there are no stated beasts with a speed of zero, but there are some animals that are immobile, at least as adults. Sea Anemones, Mussels, corals etc.

I mean, sure, but I'd just let the player choose a juvenile form. I see no reason to worry about stuff like this.

Remove ads