D&D 3E/3.5 Druid feat for 3.5 : Swarm Companions

Kahuna Burger

First Post
I never really used my animal companions as meat sheilds or extra fighting power so the new companion rules don't do it for me. I do like the idea of progresively improving compaions though. So a feat that I'm also introducing over on living enworld. What do you think?

Feat: Swarm of Companions
Prereqs: Animal Companion, druid level (equivalent) 3+
Benefit: Instead of the normal animal companion, the druid (or ranger, etc) can have several smaller companions. None of the animals can be larger than size tiny, nor can they have a CR of greater than 1/4. These companions progress by the following table instead of the standard animal companion progression.

Class Level*Swarm HD*Dodge Bonus*Wis/dex Adj.*Bonus Tricks*Special
3rd–5th******2*********+1********+1********1****** Link, homing
6th–8th******4*********+2********+2********2****** Share Memories
9th–11th*****6*********+4********+3********2****** Evasion
12th–14th****8*********+5********+4********3****** Empathic link
15th–17th****10********+7********+5********3****** Sense Link
18th–20th****12********+8********+6********4****** Possession
Animal Companion Basics: Use the base statistics for a creature of the companion’s kind, but make the following changes.
Class Level: The character’s druid level. The druid’s class levels stack with levels of any other classes that are entitled to an animal companion for the purpose of determining the companion’s abilities.
Swarm HD: The total HD the swarm can have.
Dodge Bonus: each companion gains this dodge bonus to AC.
Wis/Dex Adj.: Add this value to all companions’ Wisdom and Dexterity scores.
Bonus Tricks: The value given in this column is the total number of “bonus” tricks that the animal knows in addition to any that the druid might choose to teach it (see the Handle Animal skill). These bonus tricks don’t require any training time or Handle Animal checks, and they don’t count against the normal limit of tricks known by the animal. The druid selects these bonus tricks, and once selected, they can’t be changed.
Link (Ex): A druid can handle her animal companion as a free action, or push it as a move action, even if she doesn’t have any ranks in the Handle Animal skill. The druid gains a +4 circumstance bonus on all wild empathy checks and Handle Animal checks made regarding an animal companion.
Homing (Ex): The companions can make a wisdom check (dc 5 +1 for every mile they are separated from the druid) to return to the druid from where ever they have ranged.
Share Memories(Su): By holding the companion and making a Wild Empathy check (DC 12 +1 for each hour that has passed; cannot take 10) the Druid can experience the memory of an event which the companion wishes to alert her to. This communion takes 5 minutes and the druid is considered stunned while sharing memories. The experience is as the companion remembers it and thus it is unlikely that the druid will be able to understand any spoken conversation, though she would know if people involved were talking.
Evasion (Ex): If an animal companion is subjected to an attack that normally allows a Reflex saving throw for half damage, it takes no damage if it makes a successful saving throw.
Empathic Link (Su): While within one mile per druid level, the druid can, as a standard action, sense any companion’s general state and location. With a successful wild empathy check (DC 10 + 1 per mile away), she can command her companion to respond to one of its known tricks. If a companion is currently searching or guarding, it can alert the druid that it has found something by succeeding at a wisdom check (dc 10).
Sense Link (Su): While within range of the empathic link, the druid can share the sensory input of any of her companions. The druid is considered stunned during this time and can also use her Share Memories ability through the link.
Possession (Su): By succeeding at a concentration check (dc 15 +1 per mile distance), the druid can temporarily possess one of her animal companions. The druid is considered stunned during this time, and the companion is staggered. The animal cannot speak, but can gesture, act and cast spells (if they can be cast in animal form).

the Jester

Legend
Hm, I'd have to playtest 3.5 swarms before I made a judgment on this one. Haven't yet done so, so I can't give you too much feedback. But I like the idea in an abstract way...

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
Rather than a feat, I'd probably work up a prestige class for this. It seems like you could radically change the nature of the druid to good effect.

Having said that, I think it's a great idea. I could see a druid with a swarm of bees, rats (with the leader named Ben), or some old lady druid out in the woods with a swarm of cats. :)

Ferret

Explorer
It looks good, but I was confused when it said "several smaller companions" Which sounds like 3 or 4, maybe it should say "A swarm of smaller companions"? They also seem to get a fair share moreabilitie wise? Is this because they are smaller and weaker?

Remove ads