• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Druid questions.

Grogtar

First Post
We have a level 17 druid with several notable magic items, including the
following

Bag of Holding
Belt of Many Pockets
Hewards Handy Haversack
Circlet of Blasting
Hat of Disguise
Boots of the Winterlands
Periapt of Wisdom +6

The real question is which (if any) of these items will switch over when he
wild shapes ? His favorite forms are dire bear and dire eagle. We are house
ruling it now that all of it still gives him the bonus’s or abilities when
he wild shapes and it is proving to be overbalanced.

Is there anywhere in the RAW that states what transfers over and what doesn’
t in a concrete or even semi clear manner ?

IcyCool

First Post
Grogtar said:
Is there anywhere in the RAW that states what transfers over and what doesn’t in a concrete or even semi clear manner ?

The RAW has this to say on the subject:

RAW said:
When the change occurs, your equipment, if any, either remains worn or held by the new form (if it is capable of wearing the new item), or melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional.

If you check Skip Williams articles about polymorphing on the wizards site, I believe he's got some decent house rules for what transfers over. Specifically, I think he has got a body slot equivalency chart.

At any rate, I house rule according to raw, with the added stipulation that if I think a particular piece of equipment would look retarded (a bear wearing boots, for example), then that piece of equipment melds into the new form.

I've only GM'd for three druids, it wasn't a problem for the first two, and I don't forsee it being a problem with this one.

YMMV.

Goolpsy

First Post
I would let stuff like rings and amulets be usable... but the rest should be transformed... Maybe bracers could work too, but im not much up for that...

smootrk

First Post
You could in some instances give the Druid the choice of whether it melds or stays worn...

If he is trying to blend into the fauna of an area, he would still be easy to spot.. ie the wolf with a backpack. This may change the player's mind in many circumstances and he may opt for the inactive melded status, especially if you single him out for his odd appearance.
Even in combat only situations, the Bear with Bracers would seem so out place that his/her foes may single 'em out as well. Faced with situations like this repeatedly may help to change the player's point of view on the subject.

Goolpsy

First Post
things such as armor doesn't change with him... first of all, if he turns in to a *horse* (sure why not) the armor would have to be recontructed to fit the wearer... Tranferring into a monkey wouldn't however, and in some cases could wear the armor, as the size will alter itself (if its magic)

Though im pretty sure i saw somewhere, that almost nothing, or nothing at all turns with the wearer... Might be EHB..

These are not RAW, erratta, official advice, or anything other than one DMs ad hoc call: In general, I let druids/polymorphers choose what gets subsumed, while I choose what might reasonably stay on and/or provide benefit.

Bag of Holding easy for the eagle to carry, but that prevents other uses for that talon, so it's a trade-off. The bear could carry this in its mouth, but risks puncturing (ruining) it.

Belt of Many Pockets too tight for the bear (and the bear would not be sufficiently dexterous to retrieve anything from the pockets anyway. Eagles don't have waists. Ergo, they may not wear belts.

Hewards Handy Haversack The eagle can wear this if it chooses to forego flying while wearing it . . . no wait, how big is a dire eagle? If it's larger than the PCs normal form, then no, no wearing it, flight or no. The bear might be able to have a fellow PC cinch this item donw on one of its forelimbs, I suppose, but then you's still have the problem of retrieving stuff from inside without spilling all of the contents out onto the deck. Since somebody else would have to resecure the buckle/strap/whatever anyway, The bears better off subsuming the bag or handing it off before transformation. It's possible, but prohibitely inconvenient.

Circlet of Blasting I don't remember what this does off-hand, but if it takes the form of a headband, as I think it does, it's not going to stay on either an eagle's or a bear's head. Even if you rule that the band resizes, these creatures' heads are just the wrong shape for human headgear.

Hat of Disguise The player may argue that this hat should have a neckstrap: that's fine. Personally, I think it should. It changes its appearance to blend in with the disguise. I've always just let PC wear their hats of disguise whenever they want. "Hey! Look at me! I'm a dire eagle that looks just like a dire bear! I'll bet you've never seen a flying dire bear with a salmon balanced on its head before!" The exceptions might be creatures with wonky heads AND no necks - no HoD for dire octopi.

Boots of the Winterlands Boots are normally made to fit feet. I guess you could make some garment to fit paws or talons, and if you wanted to, you could call them boots, but no. the same item will not fit feet and paws and talons. These get subsumed, abandoned, or ruined.

Periapt of Wisdom +6 increasing the possessor's Wisdom score, not the wearer's, it could be argued that you don't actually have to wear this to gain the benefit it affords. In this case, have the party's leatherworker come up with a harness for the beardruid to use this with. Otherwise, if you rule that the PC has to wear this item, Id say the eagle could wear it, but risks losing it, while the bear simply can't wear this item.

Grogtar said:
The real question is which (if any) of these items will switch over when he
wild shapes ? His favorite forms are dire bear and dire eagle. We are house
ruling it now that all of it still gives him the bonus’s or abilities when
he wild shapes and it is proving to be overbalanced.
If it gets subsumed, it stops working while it's subsumed, unless you've got that other magical item, the name of which I forget, to prevent that. Only items, held, worn, or otherwise attended (ioun stones) continue to function. Subsumed items do not.

IcyCool

First Post
Arbiter of Wyrms said:
Periapt of Wisdom +6 increasing the possessor's Wisdom score, not the wearer's, it could be argued that you don't actually have to wear this to gain the benefit it affords. In this case, have the party's leatherworker come up with a harness for the beardruid to use this with. Otherwise, if you rule that the PC has to wear this item, Id say the eagle could wear it, but risks losing it, while the bear simply can't wear this item.

A periapt is a knecklace/amulet/pendant. It occupies that slot. If it didn't, it would be priced as a slotless item.

Shuffle

First Post
Just a question, how does Alter Self figure into this. Doesn't Wildshape function as a polymorph? Meaning all the items just merge with the PC?

Thus passive worn items would still be on, while most activated items may not work?

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Arbiter of Wyrms said:
Circlet of Blasting I don't remember what this does off-hand, but if it takes the form of a headband, as I think it does, it's not going to stay on either an eagle's or a bear's head. Even if you rule that the band resizes, these creatures' heads are just the wrong shape for human headgear.
It takes the form of a circlet. They're typically metal.

http://www.shiningmoon.com/jewelry/highres/cr03.jpg
http://www.aradani.com/costuming/Fantasy/pics/circlet.jpg

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads