• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Druid w/Str 10 taking Power Attack?!

Kazuel

First Post

I've always ruled that you can take any feat you want any time you want whether you meet the prerequisites. However, you will only benifit from them when you do meet the pre-reqs. Lets say you take a feat at lvl 3 that you would qualify for at lvl 4, it you would gain it's benifit at 4 instead of waiting until 6 and being forced to take something just to tide you over.

Darklone

I wouldn't usually allow it, but it depends on the player.

One of my buddies wanted to play a strength 4 kobold druid (point buy)... WITH Power Attack. Guess whether I said yes.

evileeyore

Mrrrph
I would allow it only if the character can (and does) spend enough time in 'Wild Shape of Higher Strength Form' to reasonably train for it.

Like if in every fight the Druid goes Bear form and claws the enemy, then when he levels he should be allowed to level for his Bear Form. Or something. Do you follow me?

TTFN

EvilE

Laslo Tremaine

Explorer
evileeyore said:
I would allow it only if the character can (and does) spend enough time in 'Wild Shape of Higher Strength Form' to reasonably train for it.

Like if in every fight the Druid goes Bear form and claws the enemy, then when he levels he should be allowed to level for his Bear Form. Or something. Do you follow me?
I guess that was my reasoning on the subject. The Druid in this case plans to be a frontline fighter (there are no real fighters in the group). So, yes, he will be spending most of his combats in bear form (or whatever is the heaviest hitting form he can manage). So I am leaning towards saying yes.

The argument that he should not be able to take the feat, because he would not be in bear form when he levels, does not hold much water for me. That is like saying that a fighter can only take Power Attack if he is fighting at the moment that he levels.

Thanks for all the feedback though.

Last edited:

smetzger

Explorer
Yes, he can take the feat. If he had an item that granted him +4 Str he could take the feat. I don't see the difference.

But he loses all benefits of the feat when and if his Str drops below 13.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Laslo Tremaine said:
The argument that he should not be able to take the feat, because he would not be in bear form when he levels, does not hold much water for me. That is like saying that a fighter can only take Power Attack if he is fighting at the moment that he levels.

Uh, no. It's like saying that a fighter can only take Power Attack if he has Str 13+ at the moment that he levels.

-Hyp.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
I only allow characters to take Epic feats that they qualify via magical hoohoo. I like the idea of the powerful villain who loses most of his power when his rod is stolen or whathaveyou.

In this case, it's a cool idea, but I wouldn't allow it.

Diirk

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Uh, no. It's like saying that a fighter can only take Power Attack if he has Str 13+ at the moment that he levels.

I'd feel like I was pretty ripped off if I levelled up just after having my strength drained and I couldn't pick powerattack for another 1-2 levels.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Diirk said:
I'd feel like I was pretty ripped off if I levelled up just after having my strength drained and I couldn't pick powerattack for another 1-2 levels.

I'm not suggesting that "at the moment he levels" is the rule. Just that it's a better analogy for what Laslo was comparing to than what he had.

But should an 8th level Cleric be able to take the Improved Critical feat, even though he doesn't have a +8 BAB, just because he can cast Divine Power?

-Hyp.

Diirk

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
I'm not suggesting that "at the moment he levels" is the rule. Just that it's a better analogy for what Laslo was comparing to than what he had.

But should an 8th level Cleric be able to take the Improved Critical feat, even though he doesn't have a +8 BAB, just because he can cast Divine Power?

-Hyp.

I agree that doesn't sound right, but then again by lvl 8 a druid could technically be in a wildhape 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (if he doesn't want to partake in social situations)... you could easily spend more time in the changed form than the original form, so in the lack of clear rules spelling it out I'd say that it would be up to the DM of the game what he thinks is the most sensible way of ruling it.

Remove ads