• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Druid w/Str 10 taking Power Attack?!

Gort

Explorer
I allow this.

However, if someone was being cheesy, for instance with the aforementioned 4 str points buy druid (which I bet was not created for 1st level, and highlights one of my pet peeves with points buy) I would find ways to penalise them by putting them in situations where they wished they had more than 4 strength...

It's a workaround, and not a hard-fast rules decision, but really, does it matter THAT much?

reiella

Explorer
smetzger said:
Can anyone come up with an example monster that uses 'magical help or shenanigans' to qualify for a feat?

Are there any monsters with one of the flying feats that fly via magic?

If we can find an example then that would set a pretty strong precedent.

Well, part of the problem there is that usually the magical help comes in the form of (Su) abilities (and not equipment or spell-likes). And a strong argument can be made that the (Su) is just part of their natural statistics. Then there's also that a number of monsters have feats that they don't qualify for at all (Beholder's Shot on the Run - again 3.0 MM). The 3.0 Balor makes another good example of 'Bad Feat Selection', in that he has both Ambidextierity and Two-Weapon Fighting with his awesome Dex 13. Summary: 3.0 MM has monsters with incorrect feat selection :p.

An interesting coutner point however, would be to consider the situation where you have a virtual 'magical' feat (ie, you have a sword that let's you sunder or cleave, I believe there are a few in the WotC line of books), would you allow that to qualify the player for subsequent feats?

Personally, the silliness of 'at the moment of leveling up', does not exist, but then again, no other restriction or clarifications exist in reference to 'when'/'how' you qualify for FEATS. The closest is a reference to skills in the 3.0 phb, which specifically refers to skills, only of the few (exceptional imo) instances where your statistical modifier isn't accounted for retroactively (akin to Con's HP bonus).

The 'example' given (Again in the 3.0 ph) about feat prerequistites may also be read as implying that you cannot take Power Attack if you are under the effects of a ray of enfeeblement such that your strength is reduced to below 13.

You can't use a feat if you've lost a prerequisite. For example, if your Strength drops below 13 because a ray of enfeeblement hits you, you can't use the Power Attack feat.

More or less, when do the 'requirements' for a feat become immediately relevant? 'At the moment' of use and selection is my opinion/take of it, and it does feel silly, so I simply apply my uncommon sense :p, like I do when considering 'readying an attack against someone moving into my threatened area' (which ... is pointless with how ready actions are worded in 3.0).

[ Edit / Add ]
Interesting read as well with the Skill Points section. With the sheer extent that they go to state that SKILL points specifically aren't effected by short term variations in your intelligence, implies more of an exception. Especially seeing as how that runs directly contrary to the precident with feats access (usability) and hit points being effected retroactively by changes your statistics. Even further given that when Chp 9 refers to feats in the same area as skills, it doesn't mention or refer back to the rather large section for skills. Again, just my view point/take on it...

Last edited:

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I wouldn't allow it because I think the druid would just be trying to cheese his way out of dumping low physical stats (knowing that he can wildshape out of them) and gaining humungous mental stats.

I'd use the few feat prerequisites as a counterbalance to that possibility.

Regards,

Scion

First Post
So you would allow it if the druid had a base 12 str but not if he had a base 4 str? Or am I misunderstanding what you mean.

Plus, going by that, druids could never pick up the feats that are only useful in their animal forms.

Maybe I am just confused though ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads