• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dry Spell

Brain

First Post
Path to take (from slyfen's current position) N, N, NW, NW, W, W, NW

OOC: since slyfen is clearing out debris from the squares he is moving into, this is creating a visible path, correct? Like if we came back through here we could easily see the path?

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
Buoyed by his success, the elf decides to keep moving. He searches the area immediately to his north. Finding no traps or weak areas, he steps forward. His stomach lurches as he feels the ground crumble away beneath him. Again he tries to jump back, but he’s too late. His fingers catch at the edge of the hole, but he can’t hold on.

Luckily, the dwarf and human are able to hold the rope. They grunt and struggle, as the rope pulls taught, but they don’t let their companion drop. After the initial tug, the rope is easy to hold, and they easily pull Slyfen from the hole.

Determined not to give up, they try the area to the northwest of where they are standing. Once again, Slyfen searches the area and finds no traps. His heart still beating quickly from the nearly disastrous last attempt, he steps forward again. To his relief, the ground holds. He then searches again and moves north without incident.

Feeling confident now, Slyfen decides to move north yet again, putting himself back on his intended path. He diligently moves aside rock and dust, carefully examining the structure of the stone floor. Finding nothing irregular, he steps forward.

But the floor gives way yet again! Even with the improved agility granted by Belisha’s spell, the elf is once more unable to avoid the fall, and his arms flail as he disappears under the floor. Hardin and Eolan steel themselves to save their ally once again—but the fast moving rope races through their hands, burning their palms as it goes. In their Herculean attempt to hold on, the rope drags them right to the edge of the hole before finally slipping out of their grip!

Slyfen crashes to the floor with an “Oomph!” The cleric and fighter are just barely able to maintain their precarious balance on tippy-toes before stepping back from the lip. Fortunately, their effort served to slow Slyfen’s descent considerably, and he is only slightly wounded. Back in the lower chamber, he looks at the rope lying around him with frustration.

The hole 30’ over his prone body seems to taunt him.

OOC Notes:

Yes, you can clearly see where you have been, and retracing your steps will be no problem at all.

Moving N
Slyfen Search check result 4 + 10 = 14
5’ step
Slyfen Reflex save 7 + 7 = 14
Hardin Strength check result 15 + 2 = 17
Eolan Strength check result 2 + 2 = 4
Total result 21

Moving NW from last safe square
Slyfen Search check result 15 + 10 = 25
5’ step

Moving N
Slyfen Search check result 8 + 10 = 18
5’ step

Moving N
Slyfen Search check result 4 + 10 = 14
5’ step
Slyfen Reflex save 4 + 7 = 11
Hardin Strength check result 4 + 2 = 6
Eolan Strength check result 4 + 2 = 6
Total result 12
Hardin Reflex save 19 + 3 = 22
Eolan Reflex save 17 + 2 = 19
I’m ruling the rope slowed down the first part of Slyfen’s fall, so he only takes 2d6 damage.
Dmg roll [2d6] 1 + 1 = 2
Slyfen reduced to 13 hp

Just in case anyone was wondering, Hardin has been getting the usual dwarven automatic stonecunning Search checks when he gets close to the traps, but none of them have been successful so far. I haven’t reported the checks because I didn’t want to give away when a trap was near unless the check was successful.

Attachments

• Corridor5.gif
    Corridor5.gif
    119.2 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Galieo

First Post
Through clenched teeth, the knight responds, "We are almost there. The time it will take to revive the orc and get back here won't be short."

OOC:

Eolan offers Slyfen a healing potion if needed.

Nac Mac Feegle

First Post
"I have no vote either way. I dislike harming a captive, but I wouldn't want to harm our elven friend either." Hardin says, then walks over to the hole.

"Slyfen, can you toss the rope up?"

Brain

First Post
Slyfen gets up and brushes himself off. He gets out an object from his pack that isn't breakable but weighs a bit and ties it to the end of the rope. He then tosses that end of the rope back up to those above so that they can raise him again.

Once there, he speaks quietly, "I don't think we should involve the orc. It told us truthful information and we spared it. Don't worry about me, I'll be fine. Save your potion for now."

ooc: Slyfen will try to reflect on the times when the floor has fallen in. Are there any clues before the fall like a sound or something? Is it different every time? It seems like I should be getting better at finding or avoiding these things by trial and error.

New Path: always try the diagonal (NW) first, then side (W), then up (N)

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
Slyfen ties the end of the rope to a rock and tosses it up to the hole. After a few attempts, he makes a very good throw, and Hardin catches the rock. Hard and Eolan then pull the rogue back out of the hole.

After some discussion, the party decides to forge ahead in the same manner. The next 30 feet pass without incident, and the rogue finds himself at the end of the wide area of the tunnel, with the rest of the party right behind him.

Looking back, they see 3 holes in the stone floor, and a well-defined path of cleared rocks and dust.

It took about 8 minutes to traverse the hallway, so Slyfen’s mark of air will last about 7 more minutes.

OOC Notes:

I’m giving Slyfen a +2 circumstance bonus for having become intimately familiar with the trap 3 times. :)

Search check result 5 + 10 + 2 = 17, 5’ step
Search check result 10 + 10 + 2 = 22, 5’ step
Search check result 9 + 10 + 2 = 21, 5’ step
Search check result 2 + 10 + 2 = 14, 5’ step

Attachments

• Corridor6.gif
    Corridor6.gif
    120.1 KB · Views: 65

Remove ads