DT's Old School Campaign- (Chapter 4: The Guild and The Girl)

GlassEye

Adventurer
Edvan looks grim. He gulped his brandy down and sat stiffly through the Captain's story with his hands held firmly on his knees as if he were prey attempting to avoid the notice of the predator. His eyes light up at the mention of gold but he is clearly torn between greed and good sense. After his companions all have their say, he slowly nods. "Aye, if Rove and Hill can keep this unquiet spirit at bay I reckon I can keep an eye on their backs while they're doin' it."

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
The captain was surprised and estatic, and the crew equally so as they saw the party gather the package and prepare to depart. The coin was counted out... 4 gold pieces each, enough for food and a roof for more than a week if spent rightly. Rovan held the package while Lola nursed the brandy and had it ready in case her companions wanted a nip.

The party left the boat as Bear and Slug rallied their crew in preparation to depart. The foursome walked out of the harbor and south onto Water-Rat Road, though they were leered at by three large and rough-looking dock workers. The group noticed that the three men started travelling down Water-Rat Road behind the party, and at a quicker pace.

Lola
[sblock]
You know the leers of men, and these rogues seem to be staring at the large package instead of you.
[/sblock]

Hilmdyn and Edvan
[sblock]
The two of you have worked with those men before. That's Ben Sills leading his two fellow brutes, 'Scar' Briggs and Craig Hastings. Ben is the more muscular, though each is a known bully and part-time thug.
[/sblock]

Queenie

Queen of Everything
"That's curious," Lola commented softly as they walked away from the boat, her eyes keeping a vigilant watch around them, "Those men over there seem to be looking intently at this box... perhaps they know something of it, or even were waiting for it to come off the ship? Otherwise, what would they care about some random package?" She found herself taking a few steps closer to Rovan, her free hand brushing against her thigh were she kept her weapon. "We should make quickly away from here, I think."

garyh

First Post
""Edvan and I have actually worked with those three before," Hilmdyn says quietly. "They're thugs of the worst sort. Not a brain between the three of them, but plenty of muscle if they are looking to give us trouble."

Fenris

Adventurer
Rovan, had been blissfully unaware of the men, focused rather on his package and the delivery. Without turning around he acknowledged Lola's concerns as he continued walking along briskly.

"Well fellows, we have three choices as I see it. One, try to out run them to Tretchner's place. Two, hide the package among us and then split up, if I make a show of giving it to Edvan and he peels off, then at least one may follow him. At worst we all split up and confuse them. Even if they still come after me thinking I have it, you three can circle around to watch them. Three, we choose a battle ground, where we have the advantage and lure them in and dispose of them before they do the same to us. I do a spell or two that may level the playing field for us, but it may not be pretty. Of course, nothing says we can't try them, in that order so see if each works" suggests Rovan

GlassEye

Adventurer
Edvan glances back trying to gauge how much time they have before the decision is taken out of their hands. "Hill gots the right of it. Sills can be a nasty piece of work when he wants ta be. So I says number three; I thinks we'll be facin' off anyways and I'd rathers not leave it ta Sills ta be choosin' the place." Edvan turns his attention to the street ahead looking for a place that is clear of bystanders and that might favor him and his companions over Sills and his pair of thugs.

garyh

First Post
Hilmdyn nods at Edvan's words. "Aye, only a fool lets his enemies decide the time and place of battle. Let us set the terms instead."

Queenie

Queen of Everything
"Are we certain they want trouble and this is not just a coincidence? Either way let us choose a quiet alley to turn down quickly. We shall soon see what trouble is following us. I can see by the look on those men that talking is not going to get us out of this."

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Lola took the lead and ducked into the nearest alley, which was next to the Red Pearl Inn. She led the party another fifteen feet down and waited in the gloom while the trio who pursued them stopped at the entrance in confusion. The largest of the three recovered and pulled a small broom handle from out of his sleeve, wielding like a short club. His ally next to him had a large scar under his left eye and took out a piece of metal that he held like a shiv, while the third man pulled out a small sack of coins to use as another makeshift weapon. The largest yelled out into the alley, "Edvan Chelwhistle and Hilmdyn Stoneheart, this is Ben Sills. I'm calling ye out, ye cowards! I know ye and your friends took some package off that ship and the way ye've been holding it I know it's probably valuable. I'm thinking that ye ain't shown me and the boys some proper respect of late. Why don't you and your friends come on out with it and we can make this nice and civil?"

GlassEye

Adventurer
Edvan turns towards the three men and steps forward nodding sagely and obviously resting his hand near his axe. "I hears wot you're sayin', Sills. And if you woulda come out and made nice instead of comin' on like some wet behind the ears, penny ante thug with an unhealthy interest in our business we might coulda come to some sort of arrangement. My Da used to say you gotta earn respect; you thinks you can earn mine then keep on comin' and we'll see wot's wot. You wanna rethinks, then go on an' get yourself a drink down at the Trident and maybe we can keeps on being sociable."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases