• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dual Wand Weilder

Goldmoon

First Post
I want to play a character that centers around weilding 2 wands. Any advice on class, level and feat progression? Also, can you actually get off more that 2 spells in a round at higher levels with wands?

Pinotage

Explorer
Goldmoon said:
I want to play a character that centers around weilding 2 wands. Any advice on class, level and feat progression? Also, can you actually get off more that 2 spells in a round at higher levels with wands?

You mean a character going to take the Double Wand Wielder feat? That feat requires Craft Wand and Two-weapon Fighting as prerequisites, and allows you to cast a spell from each wand as a full-round action, although the 'secondary' wand burns double charges. Wizard/Sorcerer/Rogue are good choices (for spells and the high Dex for Two-weapon fighting), but overall it's really up to the concept. To get three feats, you could do it with a human Wizard 3.

Pinotage

Gaiden

Explorer
I have an NPC that can get off 3 spells a round. IIRC, I think what he does is dual wand wields to cast 2 spells from wands with a full round action and then uses quicken spell to cast a 3rd spell from his spell list as a swift action. I want to say that there was a way to quicken a spell cast from a wand, but I don't recall the details. The NPC is an artificer who prestiged into the PrC from Eberron's sourcebook on Sharn - something like the wand elite - a special Sharn-specific PrC for wand wielders.

There is another feat available, I think from Magic of Eberron, that let's a spell be cast from a staff as a free action 1x/round. I don't think they mention anything about this not being stackable with quicken spell. IDHMBWM, though so I am not sure IIRC.

The_Warlock

Explorer
Here's the excerpt from Complete Arcane where Double Wand Wielder appears...

WotC Complete Arcane Excerpt

By Core Rules, you have to be Caster Level 5 before you can take Craft Wand. So the earliest you could get Double Wand Wielder is 6th level with a standard character feat.

So, I'd probably go Fighter at first level, Human, make sure you have the Dex 15 for Two Weapon Fighting as starting feat, and take it at the get go, probably with Two Weapon Defense as Fighter feat, and another general feat that would help with your concept from the human bonus feat. Then Focus on Wizard. When you get to 6th level, you'll be a 5th level Wizard, so take your Wizard bonus feat as Craft Wand, and your character feat as Dual Wand Wielder...at which point...where do you want to go with the concept...

PS: Hi GM! How goes? Great to see your game brain looking for cool ideas.

Last edited:

szilard

First Post
A Ranger 2/Wizard 5/Something or other might be an interesting way to go. You probably wouldn't be able to get Dual Wand Weilder until Lvl 9, but you'd be able to use some divine wands.

-Stuart

Darklone

The_One_Warlock said:
Here's the excerpt from Complete Arcane where Double Wand Wielder appears...

WotC Complete Arcane Excerpt

By Core Rules, you have to be Caster Level 5 before you can take Craft Wand. So the earliest you could get Double Wand Wielder is 6th level with a standard character feat.

So, I'd probably go ....
Hmm, can't you just stay singleclass wizard and use your level 5 wizard bonus feat?

The_Warlock

Explorer
Darklone said:
Hmm, can't you just stay singleclass wizard and use your level 5 wizard bonus feat?

Well, you can stay single class, and get Craft Wand at level 5 with the wizard bonus feat, because you have to be a level 5 caster to be able to take it. But you can't get Dual Wand Wielder with the wizard bonus feat since its not a metamagic, item creation or spell mastery feat, and you need Craft Wand as it's prereq, no matter how you slice it, so the earliest you'll get it is still 6th level with a character feat.

If you are going to be 6th level before you can start dual-wanding, why not be human and take your first level for fighter for a nice assortment of feats which would help you be dodgy/defensive, since you have to have the Two-weapon fighting feat as a prereq, might as well take some other feats which will help support your defense while firing wands like six shooters.

It'll give you a nice initial boost to hit points, and because you are human, highest class doesn't count for multiclassing penalty, so if you stick with wizard and or fighter from here on out, you aren't really suffering any penalties, and if you later take fighter levels, you can gain more combat feats which may help make you a more evasive or survivable wand wielding combatant.

And, if you never take another level of fighter, you still got an initial bonus to BAB & Fort saves, which never hurts, and you'd still be able to get 9th level spell access as a wizard, so, it's not like a handicap.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads