• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dual Wand Weilder

The_Warlock

Explorer
And, now that I've reviewed it, it is an interesting prestige class. But it's not what the OP requested, which is firing two wands as their primary concept, as opposed to being able to cast spells while waiting for touch spell/stab combos, or splitting your melee damage into part energy/part physical.

Hey GM, any other thoughts aside from wielding two wands on the concept that might help think about useful feats and progression?

The_Warlock

Explorer
Darklone said:
Read my first post. Use daggers that are enchanted as wands ;)

If they are otherwise non-magical daggers? I suppose, though that's a discussion to be had with the DM, since by RAW, while wands can be of more exotic manufacture than just a stick, the DMG/SRD suggests they are weak, fairly easily breakable, and not really usable as a weapon being short, thin batons.

If they are, or should eventually become magic daggers, I'm not aware that you can do that at all by the rules, or at least not without excessive cost monetarily or in XP, as you'd be stacking different effects onto a single item. You, or another caster, would be stunting their XP development quite quickly.

So, I have to admit, I think it's a cool idea, it just doesn't appear to be easily supported by the rules without making sure it's copascetic with the DM, as I've never seen anyone do that before, and certainly not in a published source. Do you have a source to cite where this has been done?

Voadam

Legend
Goldmoon said:
I want to play a character that centers around weilding 2 wands. Any advice on class, level and feat progression? Also, can you actually get off more that 2 spells in a round at higher levels with wands?
Double wand wielder and quicken spell or other free action casting time spells would be 3 in a round (2 from wands).

Goldmoon

First Post
Awesome ideas so far. I'd like to carry a large assortment of wands and change them out on the fly as needed. Would they count as a melee weapon in terms of drawing them as a free action combined with a movement? Would the quickdraw feat help? I like the level of fighter so I can wear armor in battle and it wont affect my wand using. Does Weapon Focus: Wand apply to spells that require an attack roll? Also, isnt there a feat that lets me raise the save DC for items I create? Does weilding a wand in melee Provoke an AoO and if so, is there a feat that negates it? Can I flank with a wand? I want to be a close combat character I suppose, mostly nuke spells like fireball and lightning bolt, but I want to have several utility wands such as web and grease and the like. Basically im going to carry as many wands as possible (Maybe in a bandoleer) and pretty much use them exclusively.

Pinotage

Explorer
Goldmoon said:
Awesome ideas so far. I'd like to carry a large assortment of wands and change them out on the fly as needed. Would they count as a melee weapon in terms of drawing them as a free action combined with a movement? Would the quickdraw feat help? I like the level of fighter so I can wear armor in battle and it wont affect my wand using. Does Weapon Focus: Wand apply to spells that require an attack roll? Also, isnt there a feat that lets me raise the save DC for items I create? Does weilding a wand in melee Provoke an AoO and if so, is there a feat that negates it? Can I flank with a wand? I want to be a close combat character I suppose, mostly nuke spells like fireball and lightning bolt, but I want to have several utility wands such as web and grease and the like. Basically im going to carry as many wands as possible (Maybe in a bandoleer) and pretty much use them exclusively.

Yes, I believe the FAQ clarified that wands could be drawn as part of movement or using Quickdraw.

No, there's no such thing as Weapon Focus: Wand. You could take Weapon Focus: Ray, however, to add to you ray attacks using wands.

I believe in the epic feats section in the SRD there's a feat that allows you to use your own ability score modifiers for creating wands, rather than the lowest for the particular spell level.

You can flank with certain spells cast from a wand, yes. Those being melee touch attack spells.

Using a wand does not draw an AoO in melee, since it's a spell trigger item, and doesn't require concentration.

Hope those answer some of your questions.

Pinotage

The_Warlock

Explorer
Goldmoon said:
Would they count as a melee weapon in terms of drawing them as a free action combined with a movement? Would the quickdraw feat help?

Well, Quickdraw specifies weapons, which wand don't technically qualify as per se. But if yours are in holsters and bandeleros, they might. That's a question for your gamemaster. I'd probably allow it in my run.

I like the level of fighter so I can wear armor in battle and it wont affect my wand using. Does Weapon Focus: Wand apply to spells that require an attack roll?

Most spells that require attack rolls are either touch attacks or Rays which require ranged touch attacks, and you can take Weapon Focus (Ray). But once again, wands, per se, aren't weapons in an of themselves.

Also, isnt there a feat that lets me raise the save DC for items I create?

There's Enhance Item in the Epic Handbook, but is not an epic feat. It allows you to increase the DCs on any magic item you personally create.

Does weilding a wand in melee Provoke an AoO and if so, is there a feat that negates it? Can I flank with a wand?

Activating a magic item that isn't a potion or oil does NOT provoke an AoO.

However, since it's not a weapon, you aren't really threatening squares adjacent to you in melee, so you wouldn't count as flanking an opponent, since flanking requires you to threaten the square that the opponent is in, and be opposite an ally.
EDIT: Completely forgot about Melee Touch Attacks from the wand. Doh! Definitely threatening.

I want to be a close combat character I suppose, mostly nuke spells like fireball and lightning bolt, but I want to have several utility wands such as web and grease and the like. Basically im going to carry as many wands as possible (Maybe in a bandoleer) and pretty much use them exclusively.

Close combat might be tough, unless your DM allows concepts like the one that Darklone suggested, since by default wands aren't melee weapons. If you were going to be in people's faces, it might be worthwhile to look at using buckler shields and focus on feats that help you dodge, since you wouldn't be able under normal circumstances to consider the wands weapons and/or gain any associated benefits from them.

EDIT: Pinotage beat me to some. Oh, and cool, I hadn't noticed the wands/quickdraw bit in the FAQ.

Voadam

Legend
Pinotage said:
You can flank with certain spells cast from a wand, yes. Those being melee touch attack spells.

I would think only while attacking or holding a charge though (i.e. having cast the spell but not successfully touch attacked or had it discharged by casting another spell). I don't think a wand without an active spell going would threaten.

Pinotage

Explorer
Voadam said:
I would think only while attacking or holding a charge though (i.e. having cast the spell but not successfully touch attacked or had it discharged by casting another spell). I don't think a wand without an active spell going would threaten.

Yes, that's what I meant. I guess my wording was clumsy - the result of posting in haste! ;)

Of course, if there were such a thing a poking somebody with a stick, then by all means! Perhaps in Harry Potter land.

Pinotage

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads