• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dual Wielding Implements

Tigerlil

First Post
Casting spells does not require hands. So nothing is to stop you from having an implement in each hand. So far so good.

You can only use one of them to "channel" your spell through. So you wont benefit from the + the other one has, the critical effect or the powers that can only be used in conjunction with other powers (Staff of Storms).

But here comes the tricky part. What about 2 wands? could I use a wand of expeditious retreat and wand of ray of enfeeblement in the same turn if I have both wands drawn?

And the even more tricky one. Properties that gives a static benefit to one of your powers, like the warlocks rods. In particular the Rod of Corruption combined with the Rod of Reaving. (This combo seems devastating to an encounter with lots of minions)

What about Wizards staffs. Do they require 2 hands to use as an implement, and thus cannot be dualwielded?

Would really love to know what you other people are doing with this, or if anyone can help me with some page references that clarifies this. :) thanks in advance.

Oh and hello everyone, been reading this forum for ages, but finnaly pulled myself together to actually post something :)

Dalzig

First Post
But here comes the tricky part. What about 2 wands? could I use a wand of expeditious retreat and wand of ray of enfeeblement in the same turn if I have both wands drawn?
As long as you have enough actions and 2 magic item activations left, yes.

What about Wizards staffs. Do they require 2 hands to use as an implement, and thus cannot be dualwielded?
You only need one hand to wield a staff. The problem is that you can't wield a staff as a quarterstaff without using both hands. So as long as you have 2 magic item activations left, you can use both of them as each daily power allows.
And the even more tricky one. Properties that gives a static benefit to one of your powers, like the warlocks rods. In particular the Rod of Corruption combined with the Rod of Reaving. (This combo seems devastating to an encounter with lots of minions)
Rod properties don't require you to be wielding them, you just have to hold them. It works.

Tigerlil

First Post
Rod properties don't require you to be wielding them, you just have to hold them. It works.

I was afraid you would say that because that means the end for using minions with a warlock in the group. We have agreed not to use the combo for more interesting gameplay, but that it works in theory is a bit sad :)

I guess you could go REALLY devilspeak on the wording and say that the Rod of Corruptions let you "transfer" your curse, and the Rod of reaving requires you to "place" it on the target. But its quite far fetched...lucky we care more about having fun than "winning with killer combos" :p

Gloombunny

First Post
I guess you could go REALLY devilspeak on the wording and say that the Rod of Corruptions let you "transfer" your curse, and the Rod of reaving requires you to "place" it on the target. But its quite far fetched...lucky we care more about having fun than "winning with killer combos" :p
There's a lesson about RPGs that I always to try keep in mind (and don't always succeed). That is, never try to find a creative interpretation of a rule to make things more balanced. If something isn't balanced, just change it. You don't gain anything from creative rules readings except the ability to get into arguments with other people about whether or not you're making a house rule, which is entirely unproductive. Just say "this seems unbalanced and detrimental to our fun; I'll have it be this other way instead". It's more intellectually honest, if you ask me. :)

(This post is aimed at myself as much as at you, 'cuz I was this close to jumping in with the transfer/curse wording thing myself before I remembered that I'm trying to avoid that sort of thing...)

Mort_Q

First Post

PHB 131, A warlock wielding a magic rod or wand can add its enhancement bonus to the attack rolls and the damage rolls of warlock powers, as well as warlock paragon path powers, that have the implement keyword.

Remove ads