Dune Official Trailer

R_J_K75

Legend
I'm cautiously excited for it. I didn't like Blade Runner 2049, but a lot of that was because I didn't think it a sequel was needed 35 years later. Okay, that and Jared Leto.

The cast really is fantastic. The first movie had a great cast, but never really spent enough time on the characters other than Paul Atreides for it to matter. Don't get me wrong, I love that movie, flaws and all.

I think Jared Leto is treading Johnny Depp level of annoying, I cant put my finger on it but he just does.

Having "read" Dune, (I'll get to that in a minute), I think its a hard book to translate to a movie in my opinion. Too long for a single movie but not long enough for two.

Ryujin

Legend
I think Jared Leto is treading Johnny Depp level of annoying, I cant put my finger on it but he just does.

Having "read" Dune, (I'll get to that in a minute), I think its a hard book to translate to a movie in my opinion. Too long for a single movie but not long enough for two.

I agree; it's a tough one. Likely better as a miniseries, like the last time it was made. More room for exposition and development, without going nuts.

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
Is Jason Momoa playing Patrick Stewart's character?

No, he's playing Duncan Idaho, who was played by Richard Jordan in the Lynch movie. Stewart was Gurney Hallack, who is being played by Josh Brolin (we see him briefly in the knife training duel in the trailer; didn't catch where else). Sting's character, Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen, has not been cast for this adaptation because he doesn't appear until the parts of the book that aren't being covered in this adaptation, though we see in the trailer his older brother, the "Beast" Rabban - played by Dave Bautista.

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker

It's about the right length for a five and a half to six hour adaptation, which is probably what this will be when complete.

Part of it is, I think, is all the off-screen behavior, something that he carries over when he's in a role, like Depp. I am still mad about Leto being cast as Morbius, one of my favorite superheroes.

Dune is not the easiest work to tackle, to be sure. Tons of layers and undercurrents.

R_J_K75

Legend
Here's my story on "reading" Dune...

My first introduction to Dune was in 1983 when I bought Iron Maiden's "Piece of Mind". "To Tame a Land" was written about the book, and was originally titled "Dune" but Frank Herbert wouldn't give them the rights. I'm paraphrasing but I think his response to the request was simply "I don't like Heavy Metal".

In my freshman year of high school, in English class we were told at the beginning of the year we were going to have to do a book report. Get ready, pick a book, and read it as it was due in January and we had to submit the book for approval by November. I walk into class in November...late, and immediately my teacher asks me what book I was doing my report on. I completely forgot, or just didn't care and told her I hadn't figured it out yet. In response she points to an old spinner rack in the corner of the room with books on it and said, "PICK ONE". So I picked Dune.

I read up until the Harkonnens attacked the Atreides' on Arrakis, and wrote a half hearted report on the book. Day comes when we get our reports back, and as she's giving them back, placing them face down on the desk she says "see me after class" I figure Im busted. Class leaves and I'm left with my teacher and the first words out her mouth were, "I loved your book report" She starts asking me a bunch of questions, giving me her critique and asking my opinions, I'm sitting there dumbfounded mouth agape, thinking to myself, think quick, the jig is up she's gonna realize you didn't read the book. Anyhow, don't ask me how but I got an A,

Fast forward a few years I'm working graveyard at a gas station, to kill time I brought Dune along to read. No surprise I didn't finish it. Long story short I've started reading this book 5 or 6 times and have never finished it for one reason or another. Got within 30 pages once. Watched the movies, never finished them. I was going to pick it up again a few weeks ago but I'm convinced that if I do finish it I'll croak. Funny thing is I read all 6 Prelude to Dune books by Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson. Guess I'm just a slacker; not to mention every time I try reading it I could never get that song out of my head.

Zardnaar

Legend
My theory for a Dune adaption is use the book mostly for inspiration.

Downplay the weird stuff, focus on spice and Harkonnen vs Atriedes.

Noble families in space feuding, harsh planet with rare resources.

Basically downplay the weird Bene Gesserit type stuff.

I suspect a good chunk of the Dune fan base also comes from the video games over the books as well.

Last edited:

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Herbert's writing is weird. By some definitions of good writing, it shouldn't work at all. So of course Dune was an international best-seller and is now on it's second big-budget film adaptation!
So true. It's a testament to how far good world-building can take a SciFi/Fantasy property.
May have to pick it up again for a quick read-through.

Remove ads