Dune RPG Details Emerge!

Polygon has some details about the single most anticipated RPG of 2020, the upcoming Dune RPG! Here are the key points! It will be based on Modiphius' 2d20 System (as expected). Players will join a house, or create a house. Gameplay also covers agents, spies, mercenaries, and criminals. It will come out around Christmas and into 2021. A beta test will kick off very soon. Writers include...

Polygon has some details about the single most anticipated RPG of 2020, the upcoming Dune RPG! Here are the key points!

dune_logo.jpg

• It will be based on Modiphius' 2d20 System (as expected).
  • Players will join a house, or create a house.
  • Gameplay also covers agents, spies, mercenaries, and criminals.
  • It will come out around Christmas and into 2021.
  • A beta test will kick off very soon.
  • Writers include Andy Peregrine and Khaldoun Khelil (who has worked on Vampire: the Masquerade for two decades), and Chris Spivey (Harlem Unbound) and a whole bunch more!

aramis erak

Legend
I really wanted to like all the 2D20 games I've read. Mutant Chronicles, Conan, Star Trek. But man, it just doesn't flow for me.

I guess I'll wait another 20 years for somebody else to take another shot at a Dune RPG.
The game works well enough if you simply drop the use of momentum to buy extra dice. And that solves most of my issues with 2d20. Otherwise, it winds up with my players almost always rolling either 4d20 or 5d20...

bulletmeat

Adventurer
The game works well enough if you simply drop the use of momentum to buy extra dice. And that solves most of my issues with 2d20. Otherwise, it winds up with my players almost always rolling either 4d20 or 5d20...
How do you get 3 or more successes for difficulty if player's can't buy more dice w/momentum?

Kannik

Hero
By "manuscript" are you referring to the hardcovers that were released?

Sorry, yes, the small run of hardcovers that were produced and sold/distributed. :)

FWIW, I've been enjoying ST:A under the 2d20 system. It has its niggles as most systems do, but it works well enough and we've been having a lot of fun. (What's been doubly great for me is that I've been able to resurrect a character from an old LUG Trek campaign and am having a blast playing her again.) The key for Dune will be to see how well (or not) they integrate the political, sociological, and metaphysical aspects of the novel(s) into a/the rules framework. If it ends up being 2d20 Trek with Dune aesthetics then it becomes a lot less compelling and just becomes generic sci-fi with stillsuits and thumpers.

Sunsword

Adventurer
Sorry, yes, the small run of hardcovers that were produced and sold/distributed. :)

FWIW, I've been enjoying ST:A under the 2d20 system. It has its niggles as most systems do, but it works well enough and we've been having a lot of fun. (What's been doubly great for me is that I've been able to resurrect a character from an old LUG Trek campaign and am having a blast playing her again.) The key for Dune will be to see how well (or not) they integrate the political, sociological, and metaphysical aspects of the novel(s) into a/the rules framework. If it ends up being 2d20 Trek with Dune aesthetics then it becomes a lot less compelling and just becomes generic sci-fi with stillsuits and thumpers.

What I've encountered is that 2d20 plays far better than it reads. It's all very streamlined even though there are some bits and bobs in play. Within an hour our group had picked it up so well that you'd have thought we'd been playing it for years.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads