• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DUNGEON #114 Map File Now Available

jaults

First Post
I can understand the people wanting JPGs, and player versions, but I did just want to say that the layout and format looks really nice to me. I'm happy just to have the extremely high-quality maps that Paizo produces available without tearing up my magazines...

Thanks,
Jason

Jason Bulmahn

Adventurer
Thanks

Steel_Wind said:
And by the way - after reading #114 - Kudos indeed to Jason Bulmahn for an excellent 1st level adventure with the "Mad God's Key". That was a real treat.

I'd be very pleased to see more from Jason!

Thanks, I really do appreciate and I hope to do some more work for dungeon in the future.

Jason Bulmahn
Author of Mad God's Key

Faraer

Explorer
Erik, re the Marsember map -- Ed Greenwood has given us the full submitted key (whose labels wouldn't have fit easily at the size it was printed, no criticism here) to that map on the candlekeep.com boards, along with other unpublished lore using the map as a reference, and having the file I suggested would allow this major Realms city (recently seen also in Elminster's Daughter) to be done up with the full key, as well as printed bigger, printed out in parts, for custom player handouts, used more easily as other cities, etc.

Last edited:

njorgard

First Post
A suggestion...

At the risk of turning into a villian in these boards, my suggestion to you Erik would be to make these things available to subscribers through registration on your website. I know this can obviously be circumvented a thousand ways, but it would be a nice incentive...

Thanks for the downloads Erik!

I don't mind the PDFs, but high res JPEGs would be nice. As for player/dm maps, having copies without the labels would be great as well.

Regardless, any downloads of the maps are better than no downloads, so take these as suggestions, not complaints.

Jaws said:
And alienate the people who buy off the newsstand? What a stupid :):):):)ing idea.
No need to get so angry. He was just making a suggestion.

I'm not saying I agree with him, but if Paizo wanted to limit the downloads to those who have purchased the magazine, they could easily include a download code or require a key word from the magazine to access the downloads page. I wouldn't have a problem with that at all. I do it all the time with Necromancer Games web enhancements.

Last edited:

njorgard said:
At the risk of turning into a villian in these boards, my suggestion to you Erik would be to make these things available to subscribers through registration on your website. I know this can obviously be circumvented a thousand ways, but it would be a nice incentive...

What would the benefit to that? To alienate all the loyal LGS buyers? They already tried something similar with bonus content, and the response was decidedly not positive from what I saw/heard. So what if some non-buyers get access to some free maps? I bet people who do this will be intrigued for the adventures that flesh them out. Free maps will be a GREAT sales tool.

I Say " YEA" to Erik and Paizo for doing this. You have just increased the value your magazine provides - I know I will use it more if you are consistant with the map postings.

If you want a JPEG copy of any .pdf map, just spend 10 seconds using the "graphics select tool" and cut & paste it into paint ( or whatever ) yourself. 10 seconds - you can do that right?

I'd rather NOT bother Paizo for any map that requires additional work. My whole point on this issue was that Paizo already had the map, so why not post it? The more work is required of Paizo, the more resistance there will be for continuing this long term on a consistant basis. Make it easy for them to continue doing this.

Enterprising DM's will use the graphics select tool and create modified player handouts as necessary.

Thanks Paizo! - Keep it up!

1)With .pdf open, Click graphics select box ( should be right hand side of toolbar, after text select )
2) select graphics to copy by holding left mouse button down & dragging box
3) right click, copy
4) paste into graphics application

Last edited:

Arnwyn

First Post
I love the format and presentation of the map file - in fact, it turned out better than I expected with the included artwork.

If found the layout to be good and utilitarian, and the maps to be of good quality for printing and/or pasting into a graphics application.

You provided exactly what this DM needs! (Hopefully it was easy to do on your side.)

Erik Mona

Adventurer
Thanks for the (mostly) positive response, folks!

As has been suggested, apparently there's a way to rip the jpegs out of the PDF from within Acrobat. If that's the case, we're likely to keep providing the maps this way. Truth be told, we're not overflowing with capacity here at Paizo, so even putting together these map supplements as they are is stretching the system somewhat. For that reason we're unlikely to provide "player versions" of the maps. For the time being, I'm afraid you're going to have to do that yourselves.

I'd prefer to keep these available for everyone (rather than make them some sort of subscriber-only content). I added the opening illustrations and blurbs to the file in hopes that someone who hasn't yet bought the issue might decide to give it a try after getting a taste of the adventures and the maps within. Here's hoping it works.

I'll see what I can do about that Marsember map.

--Erik Mona
Editor-in-Chief
Dungeon

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads