• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeon 117

fafhrd

First Post
I like the distribution of Eberron modules, but I find the fecundity of warforged in the modules to be annoying. How many modules have you seen with nary a halfling in sight? Quite a large number I'd imagine, yet as mentioned, the warforged make it difficult to translate to other systems and that alone is reason to minimize their presence or at least offer viable substitution sidebars.

Arnwyn

First Post
The_Gneech said:
Eberron is the shiny new baby, so I can accept that it'll get a lot of attention for a while.
Oh, I know why there's too much of it. Doesn't change the fact that, for me, there is too much of it. ;)
fafhrd said:
the warforged make it difficult to translate to other systems and that alone is reason to minimize their presence or at least offer viable substitution sidebars.
Exactly my feelings. Well said, fafhrd (and jester47, above).

The (over)use of the warforged make Eberron a low utility choice in the pages of Dungeon.

jester47

First Post
arnwyn said:
Oh, I know why there's too much of it. Doesn't change the fact that, for me, there is too much of it. ;)

Exactly my feelings. Well said, fafhrd (and jester47, above).

The (over)use of the warforged make Eberron a low utility choice in the pages of Dungeon.

Yeah, they are starting to get about as ubiquitous as half-dragons.

A.

Henry

Autoexreginated
jester47 said:
I agree, but, it just seems like there is a little too much Eberron. Basicly, the warforged make it sort of hard to translate Eberron adventures into any other setting, without introducing them to your setting.

I'll just have to disagree here. Even considering the last adventure, Steel Shadows, was all about warforged, I could have translated it easily to any other setting, because of the themes and the conversion notes in the adventure. Even the main villain and climax could be converted with approximately two creature stat changes. The rest you could use the NPC stats as-is, and use half-orcs or even goblins instead of Warforged.

I'm biased, however, because I'm running Eberron right now, and as far as I'm concerned, they could put in an adventure in every other issue, and I'd be happy.

I'm guessing we can expect to see Dungeon Mag Eberron support to taper off a bit after Christmas, though, due to the honeymoon wearing off a bit, and them making way for demo'ing other products.

James Jacobs

Adventurer
Henry said:
I'm guessing we can expect to see Dungeon Mag Eberron support to taper off a bit after Christmas, though, due to the honeymoon wearing off a bit, and them making way for demo'ing other products.

That's an excellent guess! We definitely want to make the majority of the adventures in Dungeon fairly world-neutral, so that more of our readers can use the adventures in their campaigns with less hassle. For adventures that take place in Eberron, we'll be including "Adapting the Adventure" sidebars to help DMs adapt them to more classical campaign settings.

Overall, I think we'll probably settle at about 6 Eberron adventures per year. Of course, reader reactions and posts on message boards can go a long way toward adjusting that number up or down.

And although I don't want to spoil anything, the Eberron adventure in issue #117 has a lot less warforged in it than "Steel Shadows" from #115 did.

jester47

First Post
I see your point Henry. But I think there is still a little much.

Well James, I think you guys are a smidgen too heavy on the Eberron stuff. Quarterly would be good. Though right now one every other month is okay, as the setting IS new. Which is fair. Just want more generic-osity. I would like to point out that 6 a year is still one every other month, so I can't see how that would be tapering off. Quarterly gives room for other stuff. With 6 eberron adventures and an adventure path every issue that leaves 18 slots for stand alone generics and FR adventures (should you decide to do more).

I am however looking forward to the Greyhawk maps!

If its possible it would be nice to see generic wilderness encounter area maps like the sewer/town maps released last year. Somthing like that would help support issues that detailed things like the environment books.

Aaron.

Last edited:

The_Gneech

Explorer
jester47 said:
I am however looking forward to the Greyhawk maps!

I'd like to second that! And give a hearty "hear, hear!" I particularly like that they'll have classic dungeons marked on them ... I'm a sucker for that stuff.

-The Gneech :cool:

MrFilthyIke

First Post
It's funny how Eberron seems to be selilng well, is getting good support (more than any other "Offical" setting), and is growing a good fan base.

Yet the majority of the posts here complain about it. Makes you wonder if Eberron is really hated so widely, or if the limited detractors are just louder and more vocal than the silent majority.

edit: Also, 6 adventures in two issues and one was Eberron? That's a low statistic. What about that Psionics adventure? That would've been even TOUGHER to convert than Eberron.

Last edited:

Henry

Autoexreginated
James Jacobs said:
That's an excellent guess!

Damn, James, that'd be the first time I was right on anybody's business plan. :) Thanks for the reply.

About one every other month or so is about what I'd have expected, and pretty much the same ratio with Forgotten Realms scenarios, if I recall correctly.

Ozmar

First Post
As a member of the "silent" group (may not be majority), I guess I'll break my silence and speak up a bit.

I would like to see MORE Eberron, please. :) There is a lot there that can be explored, and as I am currently running two campaigns set in Eberron, I would find more adventures (not less) to be very useful. As it is, I am moving both campaigns into "generic" adventures that I need to adapt for Eberron, b/c I keep running out of Eberron adventures to run.

Ozmar the Eberron GM

Remove ads