Dungeon 154 - Night of the Straw Men

Rechan

Adventurer
Though I never can figure out why scarecrows always have pumpkin heads in game stats. I've never seen a scarecrow with a pumpkin head in RL; they usually have sacks for heads.

Chimera

First Post
Rechan said:
Though I never can figure out why scarecrows always have pumpkin heads in game stats. I've never seen a scarecrow with a pumpkin head in RL; they usually have sacks for heads.

Hijack;

One of the best encounters I ever ran used pumpkin headed scarecrows. It was based on an episode of Fraggle Rock (of all things) where a group of scare-crow like beings (NOT pumpkin headed) lured Mochie and Red into a cornfield with their song, where they would stand, transfixed.

In my version, the pumpkinheads charmed you into the Vampiric Cornfield...

The reason it went so well was because the Ranger's player really got into being charmed by the "Punkinheads!!!" and enthusiastically played out wanting to stay in the corn.

Demmero

Explorer
Rechan said:
Also, love the "whisper your sins into the straw doll and toss it in". That's some awesome bit of ritual right there.

Agreed. Wish I could take credit for it.... ;)

The idea for the holiday itself first appeared in a D&D Mystara product (I'm guessing Gaz 1, The Grand Duchy of Karameikos by Aaron Allston; I know it also appeared in one or more of the Poor Wizard's Almanac books as well). My contribution was 'the bigger the sin, the bigger your straw man' slant.

DM_Jeff

Explorer
Shroomy said:
The first adventure of the last 3.5e Dungeon was released today. It's a Side Trek for 1st level characers called "Night of the Straw Men"

Hey, thanks for the heads up!

-DM Jeff

Rechan

Adventurer
Demmero said:
Agreed. Wish I could take credit for it.... ;)

The idea for the holiday itself first appeared in a D&D Mystara product (I'm guessing Gaz 1, The Grand Duchy of Karameikos by Aaron Allston; I know it also appeared in one or more of the Poor Wizard's Almanac books as well). My contribution was 'the bigger the sin, the bigger your straw man' slant.
What really makes my juices flow is the idea of someone using thamutaurgy to link to all the little straw dolls, so they can listen to all the sins.

Very useful when you want to know the real dirt.

JohnBiles

First Post
Rechan said:

Could be the influence of Jack Pumpkinhead from the Oz novels.

Remove ads