• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeon Adventure Discussion

Percy

First Post
In the knowledge that I've not SEEN a copy of DUNGEON for years and years... what adventure types does it mostly feature these days, and if different from what you like, what types of adventures would you LIKE to see there???

Morrow

First Post
Re: Off Topic a little... are there modules you play again and again?

Percy said:
Personally, one of the first modules I got to play in as an impressionable munchkin would have been "Castle Amber", a D&D published module. Loved it so much, I bought it and ran it with about four different groups. Anybody do the same?

I love Castle Amber! I've run it three times. The mad d'Amberville family is on the short list of concepts that sneak into the mix whenever I run a campaign. I just can't help myself.

Morrow

mtbdm

First Post
Chateau D'Amberville

I LOVED X5 Castle Amber as a kid; particularly the magical banquet that could alter stats or kill you. I fared pretty well, as I recall, but we never got to finish the adventure.

I ran the adventure for the first group I DMed and used the setting again with another group. I went all out and made a poster-sized chart of the D'Amberville family tree (embellished with some extra characters) and inserted a few more "horrific" weird tales type elements (like one of the characters getting captured and almost dipped in boiling parrafin in the alchemists' lab). I also used the time travel element to great effect. Since the module had a mysterious mist surrounding the castle to trap PCs there, I set it in Ravenloft. The PCs wandered in, were trapped by the mist, and had to travel back in time to escape again. It was a great adventure. I may even use it again someday (via time travel, of course, since the castle was destroyed).

I have the "Mark of Amber" boxed set but I am singularly unimpressed with the plot given there--and the CD sucks. I liked the fact that the original module was inspired by Clark Ashton Smith and felt like one of his weird tales. If you liked Castle Amber, it's a good bet you'll like Clark Ashton Smith. He is my single favorite author. Much of his work is out of print but you can get ahold of some of his stuff (the short stories are particularly good) from Arkham House publishing or Ebay. There's also a website with many of his stories posted. It's called "Eldritch Dark" or something. And there is an e-mail list for fans out there too. Seriously, check it out!

Bob5th

First Post
byxbee said:
There was a sidetrek where a Grey Ooze ate a wand of Wonder and wreaked havok on a crowded marketplace when it escaped from the sewers, belching out random effects on the populace.

I remember that one. The gray ooze ate my +3 longsword.

Bob5th

First Post
Coming of the Comet (or something like that)
I played in this one. A spaceship crashes onboard are alien machines that capture and convert creatures to serve them. Immune to all physical but magic tears them up. Nice story in my opinion. Plus for the duration of the mission you got to use laserguns. Roll a 1 and the gun could explode.

Jaws

First Post
Dungeon Magazine 3E

I have all the Dungeon Magazines that have 3rd Edition adventures except the last one (I 'll be getting it soon :D ). I have issues 82 thru 91. The adventures I have ran are:

Evil Unearthed (#82) - Good place to start a campaign.
Playing with Fire (#82) - Nice small adventure.
Eye for an Eye (#82) - Deadly but fun.
Iriandel (#83) - Excellent mix of role-playing and dungeon crawl.
London Calling (#83) - Meant for Dark Matter but I made it work in my D&D game. Rakshasa rock. This adventure and Alterations (#83) would give good ideas for Call of Cthulhu.
Deep Freeze (#83) - I will be running this one soon in my D&D / CoC campaign.
Armistice (#84) - I had to cut back on the monsters. Good use of 3e possibilities.
Lord of the Scarlet Tide (#85) - Good underdark dungeon crawl.
Flesh to Stone (#85) - Nice light side adventure.
The Raiders of Galath's Roost (#87) - Forgotten Realms fun.
Honor and Eta (#89) - Good start for Oriental Adventures 3e. And besides, my friend wrote the adventure!
Issue #90 has some I want to run. Plus it has Polyhedron.
And #91 has the always good Challenge of Champions IV. Now in 3e.

I would be using more adventures from Dungeon if I wasn't running the Freeport series for my CoC / D&D campaign.

Peace and smiles :)

Tempest

First Post
My PBEM Greyhawk campaign has been running since the beginning of 3e and I've used Dungeon as a framework throughout the game. Of course I've tweaked and modified all of these below to reflect my style and current campaign conditions but I've enjoyed doing so in every case.

Here's just a few quick examples:

Dead of Winter - From the PHB CD, this scenario was orignally to have been in Dungeon. With heavy modifications I used it to begin the game and set the stage.

Thirds of Purloined Vellum - Made a brief appearance as several ideas were mined from it for a brief encounter and for several longer plot threads.

Prey For Tyrinth - Gave me a great locale to run a wet and dirty running combat through a potentially very dangerous enviroment.

Glacier Season - Added in several major NPC baddies and a very twisted and interesting big plot thread for the campaign.

Additionally, for a table top version of my game (where time considerations weren't so paramount) I'd throw in several others that could significantly add to the flavor.

-Cradle of Madness
-Rana Mor
-Interlopers of Ruun Khazai

I've been impressed enough with Dungeon since the 3E release that I became a subscriber. As many others have already said, it's the best deal for the money in 3E gming that I've found anywhere.

Tempest

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads