Blog (A5E) Dungeon Delver’s Guide: Welcome to Underland

What’s below dungeons? According to fantasy trope, the depths of the earth harbor a vast network of caves. In Dungeon Delver’s Guide (coming to Kickstarter on August 30th), we include a gazetteer of Underland, a primordial cavern realm that is unsettling, unfamiliar—and best avoided by all but the most seasoned adventurers. Standing apart from mere cave adventures, Underland locations are...

What’s below dungeons?

According to fantasy trope, the depths of the earth harbor a vast network of caves. In Dungeon Delver’s Guide (coming to Kickstarter on August 30th), we include a gazetteer of Underland, a primordial cavern realm that is unsettling, unfamiliar—and best avoided by all but the most seasoned adventurers. Standing apart from mere cave adventures, Underland locations are vivid with color, teeming with unfamiliar monsters, and bristling with barbed adventure hooks.

For us, the two creative cornerstones for Underland are that it is weirder and older than the rest of the world. It is a realm of dreamlike antiquity. One way we tried to accomplish this is by drawing inspiration from pre- and early-20th century fantasy literature. Our Underland owes obvious inspiration to Lewis Carroll’s Wonderland, but also to Coleridge’s Kubla Khan, Baum’s Oz books, George Macdonald’s The Princess and the Goblin, and William Hope Hodgson’s The Night Land, among others.

Mushroom Forest - Raphael Benjamin.jpg

Paul Hughes

Paul Hughes

I wasn't initially interested in Dungeon Delver's Guide, but the more I hear, the more interested i get.

The upcoming movie, Strange World, while probably different in spirit, may provide some inspiration to players too.

Xaielao

Explorer
Oh... glowing aboleth cities beneath the sea that ships use the navigate. That's such a sick idea.

Can't wait for this book. :D

Starfox

Adventurer
Refreshing. Grimdark is SO over-used. Stillmight not bemy bag, 'cause I am not a fan of dungeonlands. But yes, no Grimdark!

Remove ads

Remove ads