• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeon-light campaign-length adventures

GrumpyOldMan

First Post
Not sure whether this is what you’re looking for, but it is free.

Go to

http://www.lythia.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=viewdownload&cid=8

and check out The Earls Progress

Here’s the blurb:
Medieval lords travelled a great deal, as it was necessary for them to administrate their far-flung fiefdoms and to communicate with their lord, liegemen, friends and family. In this 88-page campaign module, you'll find such a trip undertaken by the Earl of Vemionshire. With wonderful maps, brilliant illustrations, and a huge helping of adventure seeds, ideas and hooks, this fabulous publication just goes to show what fans can produce. It pushes out the boundaries yet again.

RichGreen

Adventurer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Red Hand of Doom strikes a balance between the two.

and is excellent. Session logs from my campaign are on my livejournal (see sig & click on Red Hand of Doom in tags).

Cheers

Richard

Bagpuss

Legend
Kyuss Knight said:
The Savage Tide adventure path from Dungeon magazine is not "dungeon centric". Try looking into that!

You say that, but the first adventure has sewer pretending to be a dungeon, the second has a cave and a house pretending to be a dungeon, the third is pretty open but also has a dungeon, as does the forth...

But I'll admit they tend to be smaller than the usual dungeons and it does trick you into thinking you aren't on a dungeon crawl.

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
My picks?
(I would list "Age of Worms" as #1, but that is somewhat Dungeon-Crawl heavy, especially in the first two adventures.)

1) War of the Burning Sky-- If you want Dungeon-light, I think this is your best option.
2) Savage Tide- Some dungen-crawling, but still quite awesome, with lots of "Iconic" people/places to interact with.
3) Rise of the Runlords/Pathfinder: Granted, only two issues are out so far, and there is some crawling involved, but it still has a really fresh feel to it that makes it worth checking out, IMO.

As far as setting specific materials?
1) Dragonlance "Age of Mortals" campaign. REALLY frickin' good, IMHO. (Again, some crawling involved, but not as much as you might think.)
2) Planescape "Great Modron March" anthology. Needs some work to A) Update to 3.5, and B) flesh out the rest of the campaign, as these are only loosely connceted, but well worht the effort.

GrumpyOldMan

First Post
roguerouge said:
I like free, but what's Harn?

Simple answers from the HârnFAQ

HârnFAQ said:
What is Hârn?
Hârn is an island on an imaginary world called Kethira. This island and world are the setting for a fantasy role-playing game. The proper spelling of Hârn has a carat (^) over the 'a'. Sometimes the word Hârn is used by players to refer to the entire world of Kethira, or at least those parts that have been described in official and fan-developed publications.
What is HârnWorld?
HârnWorld is the name of the game product which describes the environment, culture, and history of Hârn. The term is also sometimes used to refer to the entire world of Kethira or to the body of published material which describes it (as opposed to material about rules). HârnWorld is designed to be largely independant of gaming system, and focuses on description, background, detailed environment, and wonderful maps. HârnWorld was created and originally written by N. Robin Crossby [qv] and published by Columbia Games Inc. and Kelestia Productions.[qv].
There is a huge amount of background material, from kingdoms to villages, available from Kelestia & Columbia Games. There is also a huge amount of fan-written material: castles, city blocks, villages and adventures available free from www.lythia.com.

Why the carat(^)? Ask a german speaker.

kensanata

Explorer
GrumpyOldMan said:
Why the carat(^)? Ask a german speaker.

German only uses the diaresis (¨) for ä, ö, and ü. In Germany but not in German speaking Switzerland the sharp S (ß) is also used. Everything else is just like English. I think the circumflex accent stems from Latin languages (French and Portuguese have it at least). Maybe the Wikipedia article on the caret has more...

GrumpyOldMan

First Post
kensanata said:
German only uses the diaresis (¨) for ä, ö, and ü. In Germany but not in German speaking Switzerland the sharp S (ß) is also used. Everything else is just like English. I think the circumflex accent stems from Latin languages (French and Portuguese have it at least). Maybe the Wikipedia article on the caret has more...

Sorry

I did not make myself clear. The ^ is not a german accent, it is used to change the name from harn, which is a german word.

cwhs01

First Post
The Drow War (part 1 - the gathering storm) campaign by Mongoose is very light on dungeons. At least part 1 is, as it is the only one i've read. part one goes from lvl1-10ish.

It has a few minor problems (the introduction of the pc's is somewhat unsatisfying, but can easily be changed), and has a few places where player's may have to be guided (railroaded even) a little. Mostly it seems very open and the author comments on a lot of possible problems (pc's dying, or even loosing important battles). Overall i really liked many of the ideas in the campaign.

It starts of with a linked series of small scenarios, each of which has an effect later in in the campaign (due to a victory point system). There is some freedom in the order and number of these scenarios the pc's complete, so isn't a complete railroad. It is also very easy to include your own adventures into the mix. It has a good blend of roleplay heavy encounters and (ofcourse) combat. The campaign book includes a brief overview of the campaign world, but it is relatively easy to port to other settings

Also, book 2 is levels 11-20, book 3 is 21-30, but i can't really comment on those since i haven't read them.

kensanata

Explorer
GrumpyOldMan said:
The ^ is not a german accent, it is used to change the name from harn, which is a german word.

Hehehe. Weird, I never thought of it as a German word. Harn is urine!

Somehow I don't think this is what the authors had in mind...

But back on topic:

Twowolves said:
So is the Vault of Larin Karr.

I'm currently running this mini-campaign and I like it very much. However, there are little dungeons and dungeon-like scenes in it! Right at the beginning, for example, my players explored the orc graveyard which is linked to the goblin keep prisons via a five mile underdark tunnel. You could dismiss it as not-a-dungeon because they are usually small – five rooms for example, but as far as I can tell, they have typical dungeon critters, typical dungeon traps, typical dungeon secret doors, typical dungeon combat. They have everything except for size.

Last edited:

Remove ads