D&D 5E Dungeon of the Mad Mage - Boring?

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
I don't know anything about Rappan Athuk or Tegel Manor, but Undermountain was designed at a time when the aesthetic favored a lot of empty rooms in dungeons, say 60%. I believe the 1E DMG even advocates for this, and explains the reasoning behind it. Something to do with the fact that if every room has something of interest, purpose, or value in it, then players will always have their guard up and interact with everything, because everything they encounter has a reason for being there.

Personally, I always find my players growing bored when I throw empty rooms at them, so I tend not to do it. If that means that I have to stock a published adventure with interesting encounters, then so be it. It is frustrating at times, because it adds up to a lot of prep time, but it's better than having a table full of bored players.

Ash Mantle

Adventurer
One of the players is marginally concerned with plot, so I presented him with the "round up magic items for coin" hook, and that seemed sufficient. The others just wanted to go in and kill stuff, loot, and level up.
I'm more used to running dungeons that have interesting challenges in most areas. Whether they are combats to win, NPCs to negotiate with, secrets to explore, traps to avoid, or even an interesting feature to discover. Mad Mage seems about 50% empty, with many rooms "the only thing of interest in this 60 ft. area is a frayed coil of rope."
Sorry to hear you've been having some issues with it!

I think just playing the DotMM as a mega dungeon with the sore aim of killing monsters, looting rooms is unfortunately going to get old fast. Instead, think of the mega dungeon as a campaign setting in itself, with the inhabitants themselves serving as additional plot hooks. Meaning DotMM will need to be thought of as a dynamic world in itself rather than just a mega dungeon.
Give these creatures reasons for wanting to kill the PCs, reasons for talking to the PCs instead. Even a monster may just want help, in defending its brethren from things worse in the dungeon, or it may want food in exchange for simple passage, as examples.
You could also organise the inhabitants into factions, meaning a defeat of a certain group could mean ascendencies in power of another group, which means this group might make forays beyond the boundaries of their initial territory into other regions of the dungeon, or it could send the shockwaves of a power vacuum throughout the dungeon as a whole.
Which means you may need to give each inhabitant of the dungeon a goal, with motivations and relationships.

Make the dungeon dynamic, there's bound to random monster encounters roaming about.

Hopefully random generators can also help with this, because all of this sounds like extra work, but it'll be worth it because the inhabitants themselves, the features of the rooms are all already written for you. Best of luck.

BrokenTwin

Biological Disaster
Something that worked for my group was to just have the GM narrate past the empty areas and then stopping to describe/ask the players for input when they reached a point where the characters would actually have to make a decision. "You pass through the great hall and down the corridor, until you reach an intersection. To your left you can hear the faint sound of music, to your right, a hint of food on the fire. What do you do?"
Obviously, this doesn't work for every group and dungeon, but it might help if everyone's getting bored with the empty spaces.

teitan

Legend
So I think it is supposed to be a toolkit. It was always designed that way, even in the 2e set. The DM was expected to take what was there and then add their own to it to make it feel alive. The DMM isn’t very story driven unlike other 5e campaigns, have very loose ties to Dragon Heist. I’m planning to run it and have already planted seeds of a Hag coven living in level 1 for when we finish the heist in order to continue tying things together and building up the anticipation for going into Undermountain.

Retreater

Legend
Something that worked for my group was to just have the GM narrate past the empty areas and then stopping to describe/ask the players for input when they reached a point where the characters would actually have to make a decision. "You pass through the great hall and down the corridor, until you reach an intersection. To your left you can hear the faint sound of music, to your right, a hint of food on the fire. What do you do?"
Obviously, this doesn't work for every group and dungeon, but it might help if everyone's getting bored with the empty spaces.
I normally would, but the VTT displaying the whole map sort of puts the game on a tactical, "move your token 5 ft at a time" level. Maybe I could do something similar where I just sort of copy the tokens on the "more interesting parts" and give them the highlights?

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
I normally would, but the VTT displaying the whole map sort of puts the game on a tactical, "move your token 5 ft at a time" level. Maybe I could do something similar where I just sort of copy the tokens on the "more interesting parts" and give them the highlights?
I have been running games exclusively on VTT for years now, and I never put down tokens until it's time to use them, i.e. during combat. During exploration, I use a single "party" token to represent the party's general location. This speeds up play and keeps people focused on the narrative aspects of the game rather than on the micromanagement involved in moving a token around the board.

Also, I have never run a game the way BrokenTwin describes, but I see nothing wrong with it. By glossing over empty dungeon rooms, you're just moving to the next part of the game where a meaningful choice is to be made.

GreyLord

Legend
Granted, we're on the 1st level, but there's no dynamic, memorable hooks to whet their appetite for a 300+ page book. We're probably 5+ hours into the game, and very little has happened. And we're running briskly on VTT. They've uncovered a solid half of the 1st level map. Empty room after empty room.
And I know I can do roleplaying. I know I can add story. I know I can add descriptions and make it interesting in my own way. But it's like buying a meal at a restaurant. Sure you can add a little salt and pepper, but ultimately it's the cook who's responsible for most of the flavor.
A well-stocked, interesting dungeon half the size of Mad Mage would've been preferable.

Our group just finished the first level. A LOT of it is going to need to be DM investing in invigorating some characters and tensions between groups.

For example, the gang in the Northern portion and the groups that Xanathar sends out are the most likely to have interactions that the group can latch onto. In addition, there is the group of adventurers that could not cooperate with each other that have it's start in the Southern portion and can have some interesting interactions.

The next level has some more options laid out in regards to interesting sub plots that you can work with to create various subjects with the players. Some levels are more interesting than others. The 1st level seems a tad less interesting than later levels, but that's probably because it's more an introduction to the Dungeon while some other levels are more the meat of it.

All told, the DM will need to work with what the Dungeon provides with the various factions and characters. It's the interaction of those groups and characters which can make or break DotMM.

Remove ads