• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeon/Polyhedron Life Expectancy

Paragon

Wielder of the Power Cosmic
So you don't use it. ok. does it make you feel better running something in the ground that many people find very useful and helpful? does that make everyone who does use it subordinate to those who find no use in it because of various reasons?
the spitefulness of the tone of many posts in regards to dungeon/dragon has always astounded me. I have no idea why some think it is weak or uncreative to use such sources.
just me.

Paragon

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
barsoomcore said:
Hear, hear.

Dungeon has to be the best value in the RPG market, bar none. I can't think of a better way for a DM to spend money -- inspiration (if nothing else) in every issue!

And though I've never played one, I LOVE the Poly mini games.

I'm gonna have to put more aluminum foil on my head, since it seems that we're somehow sharing the same brain.

If there is a better value in gaming right now, I simply don't know what it is. The Polyhedron minigames are some of the best examples of how flexible and fun d20 can be. Some decry them as useless; I see them as a gateway to running a vast, freewheeling campaign. Remember the various worlds one could enter via the Demonweb Pits? The minigames help me in expanding this concept. I wish that the minigames would get collected into a single volume and expanded. Better yet, I wish they'd be made OGC, even if just in part, so some enterprising company could maybe take a shot at putting out GURPS-type sourcebooks for them.

Plus, Dungeon still publishes some great adventures. Even in one of the Poly-heavy issues, it still has more adventure content for less than $10 than anyone else is publishing. Heck, I don't think anyone is even publishing d20 modules under $10, and even the ones that come close often don't have a higher page count than many of Dungeon's featured adventures.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
ColonelHardisson said:
I wish that the minigames would get collected into a single volume and expanded. Better yet, I wish they'd be made OGC, even if just in part, so some enterprising company could maybe take a shot at putting out GURPS-type sourcebooks for them.
Hey! That's MY brain!

Hear that, Mr. Mona? OGC those minigames and whoa nelly! How much fun can you really have in your own head? Lots.

Lazybones

Adventurer
I'm not a Poly fan, but I have to admit the mini-campaign setting provided for Pulp Heroes in #102 was interesting, with a ton of campaign ideas. I haven't played d20 Modern, but that setting made me at least consider the genre.

The Dungeon content... well, I'll hold my opinion until Mr. Mona's changes start to take hold around #104. I do like the Adventure Path, though (obviously, since I'm writing a SH based on it).

Scarbonac

Not An Evil Twin
The only reason that I buy it is for the Polyhedron content.

I want more mini-games; four per year just ain't gonna cut it.

blindrage

Raging blindly since 1969
The only reason I was getting Dungeon/Poly was for the LGJ. Nothing more. Okay maybe for some news about upcoming game releases. But other than that, nothing else. I found most of the mini games to be lacking or not fitting what I m looking for in modules. And the lack of good low level mods is the prime killer. But those are my thoughts on the matter.

Mercule

Adventurer
rowport said:
:confused:

Wow- "no useful content" and "Gith tripe"??

Eh, "Gith tripe" may have been a bit of hyperbole. I really don't mind them, in context. I just am neutral toward them, at best. Like I said, though, I don't want to include them in my game world because I like to at least have the option of publishing my world someday.

I was never a big Dungeon subscriber because I've always been a "seat-of-the-pants" DM. I even used to be able to come up with rhyming riddles on the fly (I was the English teacher's pet in jr high/high school). Alas, I'm finding that I don't have as much time to feed my creativity anymore, so I'm really starting to like the idea of having a stockpile of adventures and seeds sitting on my shelf (and the back of my head).

Remove ads