• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeon/Polyhedron Life Expectancy

Kaodi

Hero
Remember a few months ago there was that big fuss about whether Dungeon/Polyhedron would remain a viable publication? Wasn't Johnny Wilson or someone else from Paizo Publishing supposed to make an announcement/hold a conference about this very thing at GenCon? So, well, what happened?

Erik Mona

Adventurer
Basically nothing.

Johnny told a seminar of around 16 people that he shouldn't post when he's hot under the collar. The magazine's doing fine (seriously). Issue #100 was especially good for us, and we're planning well into the future.

--Erik

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
That's because issue 100 was one of the best ones I own, and I think I have them all except for two or three. Best resource I own, if you look at what I've gotten out of them over the life of my 11 or 12 year old campaign.

I'm glad to see that all is well. :D

Macbeth

First Post
There are, however, some changes coiming. See what Erik Mona had to say in This post. I've submitted this as a news scoop, so hopefully it will end up on the front page for everyone to read.

Wombat

First Post
If the magazine disappeared today, I would not mourn.

I have seen no useful material in a Dungeon magazine in years.

JPL

Adventurer
Wombat said:
If the magazine disappeared today, I would not mourn.

I have seen no useful material in a Dungeon magazine in years.

If the magazine disappeared today, I would rend my garments in anguish and then shave my head as a symbol of mourning.

And that's just if they stopped Polyhedron.

Seriously...I can see where some minigames or some adventures might not be your cup of tea, but that githyanki minigame [more of a supplement, really] a couple of months back was just triple-distilled D&D goodness.

But as the man said when he kissed a cow...to each his own.

Mercule

Adventurer
JPL said:

Seriously...I can see where some minigames or some adventures might not be your cup of tea, but that githyanki minigame [more of a supplement, really] a couple of months back was just triple-distilled D&D goodness.

Hmmm... I specifically avoided both Dungeon and Dragon that month. Actually, I did pick up the Dragon, IIRC, but have completely ignored the Gith tripe.

Since I run a home-brew world, I'm not really interested in any of the IP that WotC holds close to the chest. If it's part of what makes FR or Greyhawk unique then I definitely don't want to add it into my games. Not that I have an aversion to either, but I refuse to build too heavily on a foundation that I can't publish from.

I added Strahd into my game world shortly after I6 was released. When the Ravenloft setting was released, I did some things to tie my setting to Ravenloft. That was a bad decision that I'm still trying to exorcise.

rowport

First Post
:confused:

Wow- "no useful content" and "Gith tripe"?? I am really shocked to hear these comments. Personally, I think that Dungeon is excellent (and Polyhedron is even better)! Even if you did not like the specific content, it is very easily ported. For instance, Dungeon #100 included lots of ideas for an invading race scenerio, not just the Githyanki. Similarly, lots of the maps and locations are easily portable. It also has wonderful graphics and top-notch production values. I can certainly understand why a magazine of adventures might not be for everybody, but to see *nothing* of value in it makes me wonder if you are actually reading the magazine before judging it...?

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Hear, hear.

Dungeon has to be the best value in the RPG market, bar none. I can't think of a better way for a DM to spend money -- inspiration (if nothing else) in every issue!

And though I've never played one, I LOVE the Poly mini games. Just reading Hijinx was two hours of fun, and I keep thinking I'm going to run a game of that someday....

Maybe back-to-back with my Charlie's Angels-Kung Fu-Cthulhu game?

So I am glad to hear the magazine is going strong. You folks there are doing good work.

Remove ads