• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeon Tiles, Set 1

AnthonyRoberson

First Post
Dungeon Tiles are just that; geomorphic tiles scaled for use with 25mm miniatures and designed to be used for laying out dungeons on the tabletop. For the princely sum of $10.00 you get a package that includes six sheets of punch out tiles. The introductory set includes corridors, rooms, pits, doors, portcullis, statues, stairs and other bits. As a nice bonus, the two largest tiles have a small tavern and shop printed on one side for use if the players decide to engage in a little bar brawling or shoplifting.

Most of the corridors are a scale ten feet wide and the largest room tiles are a scale forty by fifty feet, but of course tiles can be combined for larger areas. There are no curved or angled tiles in this introductory set. Enough tiles are included to lay out a small basic dungeon. Tile junkies can combine sets of course for larger layouts.

The tiles are printed on a thick paper or cardboard of some sort and they seem pretty sturdy. The tiles were easy to punch out and I did not damage any tiles in the process. Each tile is printed on both sides to increase their versatility and thickly coated for lasting play. The finish also has a nice ‘tooth’ to it to help prevent the tiles from sliding around on the table. One of the larger tiles did warp a bit when I left it in a hot car, but not so badly that it can’t be used. Storing the tiles shouldn’t be much of a problem. They don’t take up much room and I just threw mine in my Player’s Kit box for transport to and from games.

My complaints about the set are few. Some of the tiles have one side that is basically just black, which makes me wonder if that was some sort of printing error. I don’t like the way the little door tiles look when they are placed between corridors and rooms, but I will probably use the doors from my old Heroquest game anyway. Finally, I would have preferred more ‘dungeon dressing’ bits like chests, tables, burning braziers, etc. but I feel quite sure that some of those items will be released in future sets.

Dungeon Tiles are on of those products that make you think “why is no else doing this?” There are several companies that produce PDF tiles, like the excellent DungeonLinx from WorldWorks Games, but the only other company that I am aware of that currently produces pre-printed tiles is Rackham. According to Amazon, Arcane Corridors: Dungeon Tiles, Set 2 is going to be released in November and Hidden Crypts, Dungeon Tiles, Set 3 is going to be released in February. However, I don’t have any specific information about what the future sets will contain. I am almost shocked that WOTC is planning continuing releases of a reasonably priced (and non-random to boot) product that I actually find clever and useful. What is the world coming to?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads