• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeon vs Polyhedron

Dungeon or Polyhedron

• I would subscribe to both anyway, so it's a great value that they're in the same mag.

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • I only want Dungeon. I use the Polyhedron pages to line my bird cage.

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • I only like Polyhedron. I use the Dungeon pages to make paper airplanes.

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • I would prefer to have Dungeon by itself, but it's nice to have Polyhedron too.

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • I prefer Polyhedron by itself, but it's nice to have Dungeon too.

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • I hate them both.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Other (please post)

Votes: 2 3.4%

Sigma

First Post
Alright, Eric's post about what was in the upcoming issue of Dungeon prompted a mini-rant from me. Here's what I said:

Well, it's definitely true that Dungeon is till the best value for the money, but I wish they'd take out poly and give me more useable content if they're gonna raise the price. People complain about Dragon being just a promo for next month's product, but at least Dragon's got D&D content. I'm not interested in d20 modern, nor Thunderball Ralley. LGJ at least has some useful info for D&D, polyhedron is absolutely unrelated to Dungeon's main purpose, which is to supply adventures and challenges. Not only that, it's not as if polyhedron even resembles the magazine it was under the RPGA.

Raise the price, replace the poly with another adventure, and you'll see a very happy, very loyal customer.

And DarwinofMind responded with the other side of the coin.

I have only ever in my life paid for 2 adventures. Sunless Citadel and Of Sound mind. Sunless Citadel becuase I needed something to run on 2 hours notice and Of Sound mind to support Kevin.

Never bought a issue of Dungeon and I never will, I have bought ever issue of Polyhedron since it was rolled into Dungeon and now I'm a subscriber, but I'm not buying Dungeon, I'm paying for Poly, Dungeon is just useless stuff tacked on.

So, what do you think? Should they be their own mags, are you happy to have them together, or do you just think that DarwinofMind and I should split the cost of a subscription and tear the magazine in half?

Last edited:

Krug

Newshound
My view

I'm kind of neutral. There's lots of cool stuff (Spelljammer, Legendary Classes and soon, Omega World), , and plenty of unusable stuff but isn't that true of every Dungeon magazine as well? Not every adventure is usable.

If not for the price change, it wouldn't have been that much of an issue.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Sigma said:
do you just think that DarwinofMind and I should split the cost of a subscription and tear the magazine in half?

Yup.

Polyhedron being added to Dungeon was a masterstroke. The d20 minigames especially are invaluable, showing that d20 doesn't have to be limited to the same old tired fantasy and scifi tropes. Dungeon's adventures make it perhaps the best buy of any RPG support book or magazine.

Last edited:

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
I'd be more than happy to tear Dungeon off and mail it too you :) but the binding isn't strong enough as it is for the usage these things get, tearing it would weaken it further. I hope to still be able to play Pulp Heros and ShadowChasers years from now. :)

Olive

Explorer
As the first 'other' vote...

I voted other. I really like dungeon, and can't wait till my characters go up a few levels and so I can start using some of them.

I liked old Poly, ideas and articles and stuff.

I like the new poly, but I know I'll probably never get around to playing the other games. I'd like to but I only have so much time and so my DnD campaign takes precedence. And to be honest if I had more time I'd be playing CoC, my dreamed of OA campaign or some kind of sci fi stuff... maybe star wars. I wouldn't be playing racing cars across the US. doesn't appeal.

So I like the magazine the way it is, but wouldn't buy just poly right now. I would buy just dungeon right now. And i'd deffinitely buy a old style poly/dungeon mix.

Ranger REG

Explorer
ALL I HAVE TO SAY...

...If it weren't for Poly's new commercial magazine format being attached to Dungeon, I would never pick up an issue of Dungeon this year. In fact, I've been ignoring Dungeon all this time, as I prefer rules and tip-heavy format of Dragon.

Of course, if Poly were to became a separate magazine, I would honestly drop Dungeon from my magazine reading list and use Poly.

Talaysen

First Post
I said I'd subscribe to both - however, if I HAD to choose, I'd prefer Polyhedron. I never run pregenerated adventures anymore; I just use Dungeon for inspiration, happily stealing characters, locations, basic premises for my own campaign. I use more of the material from Polyhedron - for example, I'm likely to use Shadow Chasers, Thunderball Rally and similar previews for my modern-day game this fall, at least until d20 Modern itself comes out.

Mirth

Explorer
Talaysen said:
I said I'd subscribe to both - however, if I HAD to choose, I'd prefer Polyhedron. I never run pregenerated adventures anymore; I just use Dungeon for inspiration, happily stealing characters, locations, basic premises for my own campaign. I use more of the material from Polyhedron - for example, I'm likely to use Shadow Chasers, Thunderball Rally and similar previews for my modern-day game this fall, at least until d20 Modern itself comes out.

I feel exactly the same. Dungeon is cool to rip from, but those Poly mini games are GENIUS. Can't wait til I get the new issue so I can start using monkeys!!!

Remove ads