Dungeon World Meets Blades in the Dark

Couple of design thoughts I'd like feedback on regarding The Wizard. If I'm going to included Cantrips without Volatile, the way to do it is the following amendment to Blades Crafting rules:

* Cantrips are Quality -1 (meaning (a) they canst at Tier through your implement and (b) therefore they cannot be modified).

As is, Spells are almost always going to be above Tier and can be modified to add new effects.

So this change would allow a Wizard to have a (say) a non-Volatile Magic Missile or Silent Image or Mage Hand that scales with them (but not above) and cannot be modified. But if you're punching above your weight (which you will be a lot), Cantrips are going to have Reduced Effect a large amount of the time (unless players are negotiating Effect for Position and/or Effect is buffed in other ways).

So its an exchange of removal of Volatility for consistently Reduced Effect and the inability to modify the Spell.

Thoughts?

My instinct is that Spells being Volatile, very effective (crafting a Spell will likely routinely yield Quality +1 to +3 so will often be sitting on Increased Effect), has layers of decision-points when spell-casting, and modifyable via projects when the Wizard "goes back to the lab" is what makes this thematically potent and tactically interesting.

But if people feel like a reliable Cantrip will be good fall-back (and would be used suffiicently to make the design-space employed worthwhile), then I suppose that could be added to the Spells Special Abilities.

Last edited:

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Just saw this game called SIG: City of Blades on DTRPG, it's a Planescape setting adapted from Blades. I have no idea if it'll prove useful for this project, but it looks pretty cool.

Edit: There is another game called SIG: Manual of the Primes that looks like it's own system as well. So actually the game above is a Blades adaptation of a bespoke setting by the same people who wrote the setting. They both look very cool.

Last edited:

hawkeyefan

Legend
Just saw this game called SIG: City of Blades on DTRPG, it's a Planescape setting adapted from Blades. I have no idea if it'll prove useful for this project, but it looks pretty cool.

Edit: There is another game called SIG: Manual of the Primes that looks like it's own system as well. So actually the game above is a Blades adaptation of a bespoke setting by the same people who wrote the setting. They both look very cool.

I kickstarted that out of curiosity. I'm interesting in FitD games and I dig Sigil.

I haven't had as much time to look through it as I'd like, though.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I kickstarted that out of curiosity. I'm interesting in FitD games and I dig Sigil.

I haven't had as much time to look through it as I'd like, though.
The other (Manual of the Primes) game has a really strong setting IMO, but the actual game play mechanics and desired game play experience aren't quite my bag. If the Blades hack is a well done as the other it could be very cool though.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
So, I’ve done a bit of Blades, but not Dungeon World. Anyone know of any good actual play or explanation videos (think Starter Kit or Game The Game from Geek andSundry) of these games?

I have a feeling we missed some stuff playing BITD, and this thread is making both seem pretty complex.

So, I’ve done a bit of Blades, but not Dungeon World. Anyone know of any good actual play or explanation videos (think Starter Kit or Game The Game from Geek andSundry) of these games?

I have a feeling we missed some stuff playing BITD, and this thread is making both seem pretty complex.

As mentioned above, Harper has great videos on youtube for Blades and Koebel for Dungeon World.

If you'd like to join the conversation and you have any questions for me, I'll certainly answer them!

REP (LEGEND), HEAT (DOOM), AND WANTED LEVEL/ENTANGLEMENTS/INCARCERATION

At the start of the playtest I'm going to begin soon, below will be the initial iteration of the configuration/interactions of all of the above:

* Rep is Legend (not Folklore).

* Heat is Doom (not Legend).

* There is no Wanted Level or Incarceration as per standard faire Blades, but there will be a Post-Adventure Entanglement rolled. The procedure and thinking on this is below:

1) Legend and Doom fit on the same 12 point track; Legend from left to right and Doom from right to left. Like orthodox Blades, these will be accrued primarily due to Adventures (but Entanglements will intersect here as well).

2) Getting your Legend meter filled to 12 + requisite Coin will be the requirement for Tiering up (like Blades).

3) Doom will obviously be an obstacle to that (occupying the meter from the opposite direction).

4) Unlike Blades, there will be no Downtime Activity to Reduce Doom. Doom will only be reduced by a special Doom Adventure that targets a Menace (these are Fronts). These will not earn Doom. They will earn reduced Legend which is exchanged for Doom reduction at an exchange rate of 2:1 (the same exchange rate of liquidating Stash to produce tangible Coin in Blades).

So, for instance, the Adventure earns 2 Legend + 1 per Tier above Company. Tier 2 Menace is Adventured against. 4 Legend is earned. 4 or 2 of that can be exchanged for Doom reduction or 2 Legend + 1 Doom Reduction or 0 Legend + 2 Doom Reduction.

Coin gained is as normal.

5) The procedure for Post Adventure Entanglements will work like this:

* A Fortune Roll is made to determine which PC will have a targeted thematic Entanglment which takes place either on the journey back (if Adventure is in the Wild) or in the Town (if Adventure is in the Town).

* The GM will pick one of the PC's Bonds or their Alignment (one that has not been interacted with in this game session) to frame a conflict around.

* The GM will reference the Company's present Doom to determine the level of Menace faced.

0 Doom = Tier + 0 Menace
1-3 Doom = Tier + 1 Menace
4+ Doom = Tier + 2 Menace

* The conflict will either be elided (with a decision-point/cost paid) or it can be played out (perhaps the player doesn't want to make that decision-point or doesn't want to pay that cost and feels they can pay a lesser/different cost in the playing out of the scene); player's choice.

Last edited:

Remove ads