Dungeon World Thread? Dungeon World Thread.

Evenglare

Adventurer
So I have noticed a disturbing lack of Dungeon World here. I recently just discovered the game and I have to say HOLY CRAP it looks awesome. Dynamic game play that mimics novels is something that I have been searching for since I began gaming. What does everyone else think? Does anyone have their own classes they have made? Or races or anything?

I still need to get a good hand on how the game works , but I really would like to have a barbarian , swordmage , and possibly blackguard.

I also made this character sheet to easily develop your own classes, it can be found here...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vdmdz1j3yykpvik/Dungeon World Character Sheet.xlsx

Last edited:

Electric Wizard

First Post
I was about to start a thread about Dungeon World, but you saved me the trouble. Thanks! :)

I haven't played yet, but I'm looking forward to trying it as soon as possible. To me, one of the game's biggest appeals that the rules seem truly streamlined. The idea of only rolling on things that affect the game play is great. If you want to slit the unconscious orc sentry's throat, you don't roll damage. You just cut his throat and move on to something interesting.

Concrete rules on graded successes are another simple, brilliant idea that I'm surprised no edition of Dungeons and Dragons ever adopted. Having partial success instead of just a simple failure adds options and choices to what could be a routine encounter. I imagine it also relieves a lot of low-roll frustration.

I'd like to hear others' experiences with the game.

Macbeth

First Post
Thanks guys! I'm one of the authors and if you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them.

Speaking of the Barbarian, as part of the Kickstarter we committed to doing a barbarian class which will be available to everyone! The exact release dates join the air, but we'll let you know.

Asmor

First Post
This probably going to sound really odd, but I kickstarted Dungeon World, and I don't really have any idea what it is. I had some vague idea that it was some sort of a more modern take on a retro clone, but I guess I was wrong about that.

I've got the mobile version sitting on my kindle, but it's probably going to be a couple of weeks at least before I get through the current books I have to read.

So... Yeah. Looking forward to finding out what the heck I bought. lol.

EDIT: I should add that confusion on the matter is entirely my own fault. There's been plenty of info about the game made available, I just haven't payed any attention to it.

Evenglare

Adventurer
Definitly read up on it. It's completely different than a normal D20 game even though it uses the same basic scores. Also, looking for a Monk class....

Macbeth

First Post
What is a basic overview of the game? Is there an example of play somewhere?

Sorry for the slow response—thanksgiving travel plus enworld being down yesterday meant I just haven't had time to post. Anyway: Dungeon World.

Dungeon World takes all kinds of great tools from modern game design and applies them to a classic fantasy adventure style that Adam (the other author) and I love.

Some of the key things:

Rules trigger from the fictional world. Instead of, say, a rule for making an attack, we have a rule that triggers when you "attack an enemy in melee." That means that when you play you can really focus on what your characters (and the NPCs and monsters) are doing and deal with that, as your character might, instead of thinking about the rules directly. The rules step in as needed.

When a rule triggers something always happens. There's no "you don't do it" result. Instead, every dice roll falls into three ranges: you get what you want, you get mostly what you want but with complications, or something bad happens. Each rule tells you how what happens in the best too cases, with plenty of room for interpretation.

In that last case, where something bad happens, that's the GM's job. And the GM is given tools to do it. The GM has a set of general counteractions that help them look at the precise situation in question and find the badness that occurs.

Putting that all together, you get situations like this:

The orb of Ur-Um-Ra sits on a pedestal on the other side of a deep pit bridged by a narrow stone crossing. Goblin archers are aiming at the bridge from the gallery above. Adam, playing Omar the thief, says "I dash across the bridge, weaving to avoid the arrows." That triggers a rule called defy danger, so he makes a roll and fails it. As the GM I have to say what happens, so I look at my tools for inspiration on what could happen in this situation. One of the inspirations is "use up their resources" and Omar is carrying a lot of stuff, so I say, "as you duck and weave an arrow narrowly misses you and rips your backpack apart. All your stuff—including the gold from the king's tomb—starts spilling out. What do you do?"

Those are three of the coolest bits, I think, but there are a lot more! Anything in particular I can ramble about?

sullijo

First Post
Late to the thread, but I got to play a two-hour game of DW at GenCon and loved it -- very old-school dungeon crawl, but with very slick rules. I'd say Macbeth hit it on the head -- the rules step in when needed, but never feel like they get in the way of the action.

I'll also second the DW Guide posted above; it gives a very good feel for the game with plenty of examples.

Remove ads