D&D (2024) Dungeons and Dragons future? Ray Winninger gives a nod to Mike Shea's proposed changes.

rooneg

Adventurer
Yes, Crawford has said explicitly as such in response to being questioned about whether there is a balance.issue for giving Rogues more opportunities for Sneak Attqck. By design, a Rogue player should be getting Sneak Attack every time. So, from that perspective, it is a non-change for the game: 100% is not more than 100%. It does work to bring more tables into line with design assumptions, but that isn't a boost.
This is one of those design assumptions that rests on top of other assumptions about how the rules would be read. Like, if you are the sort of DM who makes it practical for a rogue to cunning action hide and shoot with advantage afterwards then this was basically how it already worked. If you're the sort of DM who structures encounters or interprets the stealth rules such that this isn't possible then ranged rogues in your games often didn't get sneak attack (or had to jump through other hoops like obtaining a familiar or whatever to make it happen). I hope some of the wording on this stuff is cleared up to make the intent more obvious in 5.5e, it would make things easier for everyone.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This is one of those design assumptions that rests on top of other assumptions about how the rules would be read. Like, if you are the sort of DM who makes it practical for a rogue to cunning action hide and shoot with advantage afterwards then this was basically how it already worked. If you're the sort of DM who structures encounters or interprets the stealth rules such that this isn't possible then ranged rogues in your games often didn't get sneak attack (or had to jump through other hoops like obtaining a familiar or whatever to make it happen). I hope some of the wording on this stuff is cleared up to make the intent more obvious in 5.5e, it would make things easier for everyone.
Exactly! The difference is between a DM interpretation nerfing the Rogue being made more unlikely, and the Rogue getting a boost.

His main points are: Make 5.5 Fully 5e Compatible. Include Easier Encounter Building. Include "Theater of the Mind" Guidelines for Combat. Strengthen High-CR Monsters. Fix Certain Spells and Abilities. Include Tasha Upgrades. Provide Less Problematic Race Descriptions. Update the System Resource Document under the Open Gaming License. Leave the Rest Be.

Of those only one or two need any more explanation than the above. And a few of them we've been told are definitely how they're moving forward, such as backward compatibility, and they've already included others into newer products, such as Tasha's racial bonus flexibility and beefing-up higher CR monsters (as seen in Monsters of the Multiverse).
this has me disappointed... there are more then a few systemic issues. Things like Wizards and Clerics getting major power ups everytime they put out new spells while other casters have much more limited lists, to the caster supremacy over non casters (what few non casters there are) to overall the hitpoint increase that has happened in every WotC D&D over the TSR numbers...

more and more this looks like where I get off

this has me disappointed... there are more then a few systemic issues. Things like Wizards and Clerics getting major power ups everytime they put out new spells while other casters have much more limited lists, to the caster supremacy over non casters (what few non casters there are) to overall the hitpoint increase that has happened in every WotC D&D over the TSR numbers...

more and more this looks like where I get off

The hit point increase in the latest two editions came with the decrease of AC and the Idea that recovering HP is easy and possible during short rests.

The design assumption is that all Eogues should be getting Sneak Attack every time that they attack. So as far as the decanters are concerned, it isn't a power boost, simply making the assumed action easier and more clear for players and DMs.
I don't get why put the restrictions on it then?

The hit point increase in the latest two editions came with the decrease of AC and the Idea that recovering HP is easy and possible during short rests.
I still think front loading HP but having less (like PCs with over 100hp should be rare high level characters, and getting even close to 200 should not be possible) would make the game flow better...

a barbarian with a 20 con at 12th level has 12+60+11d12 (min 11 avg 77 max 132) for about 140hps... at 12th level. by 20th level that character can easily have (remember now a 24 con) 12+140+19d12 (min 19 avg 133 max 228) about 290hps

Remove ads