D&D (2024) Dungeons and Dragons future? Ray Winninger gives a nod to Mike Shea's proposed changes.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
So the whole "You don't need to re-buy anything" and "It's 100% compatible" are just from this video not true, but that's fine, that's good! The main thing is to make adventures compatible.

I don't think you'll ever hear anyone say "you don't need to buy anything" (other than to point out that it's obviously true that you don't need to). And the claim has always been "compatible". Whether that's 100% or not (it's not, but it was never going to be) is really a matter of debate. A LOT of debate, apparently!

You might need to make a couple of adjustments for compatibility. How much that makes it compatible is anyone's guess.

darjr

I crit!
SlyFlourish has a sunday twitch show where he records his podcasts and talks to listeners a bit. He has taken questions and this Sunday’s should be interesting!

Soon! I'm in the chat already for his prior show.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I made a claim "FWIW The Rogue class needs to get both its Sneak Attacks in nearly every round to be competitive DPR-wise."

You didn't just scroll past this. Instead you claimed I wasn't truthful.
Incorrect. Not untruthful. Very important distinction.
As evidence of this, you continued with "I’ve done the math" as if I'm know around here to just make claims without backup.

Then you explained your math: "and the rogue’s SA with 1 attack per round is equal to the value obtained by extrapolating a wizard’s spell slots"
Right, which is how 5e is designed and balanced, in comparison to spell slots worth of damage per relevant increment of time and actions.
But where did I even talk about Wizards?
You don’t need to have done.
Stop assuming a Rogue's capabilities should somehow be judged against wizards, or the hyperspecific "translated directly into single target damage over enough rounds to run the wizard out of slots."
That is literally how the game is balanced.
That's cherrypicking to make a Rogue player feel good about his or her mediocricity, and it doesn't fly by me.
I don’t care what flies by you, though generally it’s “fly with”.
So no. I am not joking. Neither am I making "untrue" statements.
Well, not intentionally, anyway.
You might not need a high DPR to feel good about your Rogue, but that's something else.
Irrelevant. At no previous point has the discussion involved anyone’s “feelings”.
What I am saying is that if you aren't even aware you have the capacity for two SAs per round, you have an awakening coming. I compare it to a Fighter character that somehow have missed the GWM or SS feats (and how to properly use them).
🙄

Vanishingly few people here are unaware of the damage potential of rogue’s getting sneak attack on a reaction attack.

What you seem to somehow unaware of, is the fact that spell slots (specifically the idea that a spell slot is worth a specific number of d10s of damage per spell level, as described in the DMG) are what the game is balanced around.

You also ignore that damage mitigation and healing also have equivalent value to damage dealt, and the rogue often uses their reaction to mitigate often very large amounts of damage.

But even ignoring that, the rogue’s damage is fine. The only sense in which it doesn’t “keep up”, is in the minds of folks who overthink DPR in the context of hyper optimization, and even then the rogue has options to keep up. Acting like one of those options is “required to keep up”, is obnoxious nonsense.

Remove ads