• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Dungeons and Dragons future? Ray Winninger gives a nod to Mike Shea's proposed changes.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Of course they say that!

At the same time, it seems a genuine design goal, that one player at the table is using a 2014 Players Handbook and an other player is using a 2024 Players Handbook. They want this to be doable. Even if the options sometimes differ, they want characters to be viable.
Yeah, I agree.

"If they don't do the kinds of things I want, it is DOOOOOM!" isn't itself very visionary, you know.
/Shrug

I don't think it's doom, I mean, sure we can all pretend I said that, but I didn't. I don't think it bodes well though. And not because it's "not what I want", but because it doesn't make sense. Shea's vision didn't, rather. His vision is ultra-conservative re: 5E, basically change nothing that they haven't already changed in Tasha's/MotM. There are other visions that might bode better for success but I might hate even more lol, like pushing even harder on "lifestyle product".

But like I said, I'm now watching the Origins video and they're already doing stuff Shea didn't want them to do, so... I'm less concerned. I mean we got new PHB races (plural, including an entirely new race), everyone is getting Feats, it seems like there will be powered-up Feats that aren't available at first level (!!!), etc. etc.

So the whole "You don't need to re-buy anything" and "It's 100% compatible" are just from this video not true, but that's fine, that's good! The main thing is to make adventures compatible.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
"book of many things host of new options for DM's & players"... Failing new rules for crafting & (more importantly) carving out room in PC power budget in the math this sounds like a book of magic items I'll be expected to magic mart trivially available & "your the gm you fix it" compensate. Sure it's great that wotc is finally doing a MiC type book but a MiC type book requires the GM to have room to award things in it

Last edited:

Dausuul

Legend
It does 3d6 damage, which is comparable to a cantrip, and then you heal for half the damage dealt, and then you can keep it up for up to a minute, effectively gaining a temporary cantrip that heals you while harming an enemy.

It’s solid.
It costs you a third-level spell slot and your concentration. Never mind fireball, consider all the other effects you can get for that price. You could be casting fear, haste, hypnotic pattern, slow, stinking cloud, or any of a variety of powerful summons.

Instead, you're going to go with "If you're in melee, and use (effectively) a cantrip to attack, you regain ~5 hit points... once per round. Only usable if already injured." And it's unlikely to last anywhere close to a minute, because you are trying to hold a concentration spell in melee.

It's terrible.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
It costs you a third-level spell slot and your concentration. Never mind fireball, consider all the other effects you can get for that price. You could be casting fear, haste, hypnotic pattern, slow, stinking cloud, or any of a variety of powerful summons.

Instead, you're going to go with "If you're in melee, and use (effectively) a cantrip to attack, you regain ~5 hit points... once per round. Only usable if already injured." And it's unlikely to last anywhere close to a minute, because you are trying to hold a concentration spell in melee.

It's terrible.
Edit: original reply came across very flippant and snide.

I don’t think we have perspectives and experiences on/of the game that make discussion of the particulars of stuff like this fruitful. I’m going to just disengage rather than argue further.

Last edited:

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
How many D&D novels are being written? Art books? Setting/Lore books?
I never specified a D&D novel. I specified "a novel written by a master of entertainment". Read Discworld, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, or some other novel if you want to be entertained by a book. Going to a D&D book to be entertained, in my opinion, is a bit like going to a cookbook to be entertained. D&D books are cookbooks for the games, not novels meant to entertain you.
The purpose of the books released, is far more than just communicating technically how to play the game.
That's the main purpose of them. I've never seen anyone argue before that the main purpose of the Player's Handbook isn't to tell player how to play the game.
How much budget goes to art, I wonder?
I don't know, and this is entirely off topic.

Remove ads