• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Dungeons and Dragons future? Ray Winninger gives a nod to Mike Shea's proposed changes.

dave2008

Legend
yes in another thread I did.
Thanks for the link (in the other post - not trying to be snarky) - I trusts you.
without Sod/Sos just damage at 11th level (when the fighter first breaks away from melee spell casters who only get 2 attacks not 3) the wizard can deal about 85% of the damage a fighter can, without giving up more then 66% of there prepared spells... so they come pretty close (but not exact) for damage, but they still get to keep at least soem versitility... once you throw in "I end the encounter" or "I circumvent the obstacle" spells instead of direct damage the wizard pulls ahead... and that was NOT doing a melee weapon wizard like the bladesinger... so the at will damage was way behind the fighter, but they could just spend spell slots through all 7 encounters... now i used 7 as the midpoint between 6-8.
So they are, as I said, balanced mathematically, but not as much utility wise.

Personally, I think fighters should out perform wizards on damage generally (and every other class really), but wizards should have more utility and encounter ending spells.

Aldarc

Legend
That’s kind of an inevitable result of resource management based balance. Discrepancies from the expected pattern of play over whatever term the resource management is balanced around will result in power imbalance. The longer the term the resource management is balanced around, the greater the risk of such discrepancies. Nonetheless, a lot of people really enjoy resource management over the term of an adventuring day.
Saying that there is a problem with balancing around the adventuring day is not meant to deny that people enjoy resource management over the term of the adventuring day. If resource management should be a key feature, then it should be a key feature across the board for all rather than for some. All IMHO.

But, remind me, what your main frustrations with 5e are?
I don't think we have time for that unless you have a couch for me and a lot of coffee (or hard drink).

If it came down to two things it'd be the adventuring day and the poor rules around skill usage.

But I'm now watching the Origins video and... this sounds like this goes further than Mike Shea was asking for, and even is a little 4E-ish (in terms of the vibe)... so I'll be interested to see how this plays out. I'm already a little less concerned. I think Winninger was generalizing.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
wow... I wasn't expecting much in the way of changes with 5.5, sounds like I dramatically overshot with my expectations
Eh, I would take claims that there’s no need to re-buy any books with a grain of salt. Of course they would say that, because it would be a bad look to seem like they’re making people re-buy the same books. I take this to mean the same thing as “backwards compatibility.” If you have the old books, you’ll be able to make a character to play in a game with people using the new books, or run a game for people who made characters using the new books. I think MMotM gives us a pretty clear picture of the kinds of changes we should be expecting.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
If resource management should be a key feature, then it should be a key feature across the board for all rather than for some. All IMHO.
Oh good no. I hate resource management as a player, but I wouldn't want to take that away from those that do. Now, I could see each class have a subclass that is resource based and one that is not. But I wouldn't want it all one way or the other.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Eh, I would take claims that there’s no need to re-buy any books with a grain of salt. Of course they would say that, because it would be a bad look to seem like they’re making people re-buy the same books. I take this to mean the same thing as “backwards compatibility.” If you have the old books, you’ll be able to make a character to play in a game with people using the old books, or run a game for people who made characters using the new books. I think MMotM gives us a pretty clear picture of the kinds of changes we should be expecting.
Of course they say that!

At the same time, it seems a genuine design goal, that one player at the table is using a 2014 Players Handbook and an other player is using a 2024 Players Handbook. They want this to be doable. Even if the options sometimes differ, they want characters to be viable.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I suspect 2024 will differ mechanically from 2014, but either we have already seen those changes or will soon.
Indeed. I fully expect the PHB races and MM monsters to get updated to the MMotM standard. Features that let you cast spells X times between long rests will be updated to allow you to cast the spell with appropriate-level slots if you have them. Features that let you do a non-spell X times between short or long rests will be updated to be PB times between long rests (apart from Warlock spells; I think that would require more drastic of a change than it sounds like they’re looking to make). The wording of a lot of things will be revised for clarity - see, for example, Dwarven Resilience being re-worded to say you have advantage on saves “to avoid or end the Poisoned condition on yourself” instead of on saves “against poison.” Some things might get re-organized somewhat, such as putting all the stealth rules in one place. A lot of things will probably get sidebars reminding the reader of things like temp HP not stacking. They will probably specify in all cases where you divide something that you round down, instead of leaving it implied by the “always round down unless otherwise stated” rule. I’m betting Tasha’s optional class features will be included directly in the class features, though they might still be marked as optional, and of all my predictions I’m least confident about that one.

Remove ads