• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Dungeons and Dragons future? Ray Winninger gives a nod to Mike Shea's proposed changes.

"Leave the rest to be"

Ah, so no improvements or things people were hoping to get.
Yeah if Mike Shea's vision is followed, I don't think that bodes very well for D&D longer-term, and it means no real improvements at all beyond Tasha's/MotM-type stuff.

But equally possibly Winninger is talking generalities and it won't be as well, sorry, but "crap" as the vision (or astonishing lack of vision) that Mike Shea presents.

The one upside is, frankly the worse WotC handle this, the better it's going to go for non-D&D RPGs. If it's really Shea's vision I expect to see a gradual upswing in non-D&D RPGs over the next few years.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Not just my opinion, the D&D team identified the style as one of the major problems.

But yeah, I didn't like the writing style.

Boring to read. Dull. Uninteresting. A chore. Literally all of these things are subjective value judgments. They are, in fact, your opinion. Just own your opinions - they’re perfectly valid. You don’t need to hide behind faux objectivity.

dave2008

Legend
Yeah if Mike Shea's vision is followed, I don't think that bodes very well for D&D longer-term, and it means no real improvements at all beyond Tasha's/MotM-type stuff.

But equally possibly Winninger is talking generalities and it won't be as well, sorry, but "crap" as the vision (or astonishing lack of vision) that Mike Shea presents.

The one upside is, frankly the worse WotC handle this, the better it's going to go for non-D&D RPGs. If it's really Shea's vision I expect to see a gradual upswing in non-D&D RPGs over the next few years.
Well I would be happy with basically what Mike wanted. If I want any more 5e options I can look to 3PP

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage

I assume the longterm D&D will be a full-on 6e − but at that point, D&D might well be a virtual reality experience.

But, remind me, what your main frustrations with 5e are?

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
So, 5.5 it is. It might even 5.0, albeit a "refresh" can incorporate many fluffs and crunches across the 10 years.

From the thread by @Abstruse (Mott):

"
And now Jeremy Crawford talking about the new initiative called "One D&D". Chris Perkins reiterating what was said back during "D&D Next" playtests that there won't be any new "editions" of D&D but refining 5th Edition by building on that framework. So this is the 2024 refresh of the core rulebooks. Chris Perkins will be restructuring the DMG to be more friendly to new players. The "three pillars" of One D&D will be

• the rules system (backward compatible, no need to re-buy any books or adventures),

• D&D Beyond (digital integration and digital/physical bundles),

• and D&D Digital, which will be a VTT.

"
wow... I wasn't expecting much in the way of changes with 5.5, sounds like I dramatically overshot with my expectations

dave2008

Legend
Not all classes and subclasses are equally affected by discrepancies in what the typical adventuring day looks like for different tables.
Yes, I said for some. However, I find those discrepancies are pretty small. My group is a wizard, a ranger (rogue scout), and 3 fighters. Everyone seems pretty balanced and happy if we have 1 or 6 encounters in a day (typical about 3). We haven't had balance be an issue for us. I hear people talk about, but I haven't seen it in play in 5e (I did a bit in 4e).

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Not all classes and subclasses are equally affected by discrepancies in what the typical adventuring day looks like for different tables.
That’s kind of an inevitable result of resource management based balance. Discrepancies from the expected pattern of play over whatever term the resource management is balanced around will result in power imbalance. The longer the term the resource management is balanced around, the greater the risk of such discrepancies. Nonetheless, a lot of people really enjoy resource management over the term of an adventuring day.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads