D&D (2024) Dungeons and Dragons future? Ray Winninger gives a nod to Mike Shea's proposed changes.

New art is literally the worst reason I can think of to re-buy a book i already own.
I can't imagine someone sitting in a business and saying "Most of our customers wont want this, but some will... but don't worry we are opening up new markets with it" and it ending well for them.

Edit: Okay we have this smash hit TV series... lets end it and make this spin off that isn't going to be for the old TV fans...

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I mean, it's pretty clearly going to revamp the core ancestries (MotM didn't give us new versions of them, so this will), and consolidating all the changes to the core classes along with whatever other tweaks is worth a new PHB to me. Better monsters in a new MM are also worthwhile.
Not $200 worthwhile. And that's assuming you like all the little changes of course. Which if they matter to you, you're probably already doing.

dave2008

Legend
What would be the point of buying those books if you already own the 2014 versions? Is the new print intended only for new players going forward? I mean, if you care about the stuff they're supposedly updating, aren't you already playing that way now?

I just don't see why anyone who is playing now would buy these if the changes are as minor as everybody says.
There are many reasons; however, it is primarily for new players. Here are a few possible ones for me:
  • new art
  • new monster statblocks
  • better layout / organization

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
If people aren't looking to buy a new set of books, I fail to see how WotC releasing a set of small; changes that don't inspire them to buy new books is a bad thing? Seems to me the person is getting what they want?

anchorman-steve-carell.gif

Some people just need to be able to complain. And they haven't found yelp reviews yet.

Not $200 worthwhile. And that's assuming you like all the little changes of course. Which if they matter to you, you're probably already doing.
TBF... we will have to preorder to get the discounted price or wait to see if the changes are good... I am SURE WotC will get money from people for this set that will not be going forward... and they HAVE to know that.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
What would be the point of buying those books if you already own the 2014 versions? Is the new print intended only for new players going forward? I mean, if you care about the stuff they're supposedly updating, aren't you already playing that way now?

I just don't see why anyone who is playing now would buy these if the changes are as minor as everybody says.
How does baseline Risk sell copies every single year without changing the rules? Or Catan? Or any other evergreen game?

If we've actually moved into a world where D&D has become a real mass market game rather than the purview of a small number of hobbyists who need to be milked for their cash like cows every 10 years, that would actually be a good thing IMO. The game shouldn't be changing so much that they have to force players to buy new rules every decade to "stay current" to turn a profit on the game. If they're able to reach a point where they can get a consistent profit from new players aging into the game combined with people having to replace books periodically, then that's actually an astonishingly good thing for D&D as a game and for Wizards as a company. Even if there are a lot of folks who wish that D&D had settled into being that kind of game at some different point in its development history.

If the game ever hits that point - whether its now or in the future - then I could see a cycle where every decade or so a revised rulebook is published to gather together errata, cleaner explanations of existing rules, and any new rules that have been published in the interim. That's basically how Call of Cthulhu works for example and it's on its 7th edition. D&D is in a weird state where everyone expects edition changes to be huge changes to the game because of how 3rd edition brought 20+ years of game development advances into the game all at once, but it doesn't actually have to be that way.

Also - and I think this gets underestimated - tying themselves to DDB means that any major changes to the game have to be supported by DDB or else they lose all of that work the same way they basically threw away all of the 4e tools when 5e came out. When they bought DDB that was another mark to me that they were planning on the core of the game being pretty stable long term because if they were thinking about making big changes, the DDB purchase would have been a bad move on their part.

Remove ads