WotC Dungeons & Dragons Adventurer Is A New UK Magazine To Teach D&D

As reported on the Mastering Dungeons podcast, Dungeons & Dragons Adventurer is a weekly magazine from D&D publisher Wizards of the Coast and UK magazine publisher Hachette Partworks, designed as a magazine run to teach you D&D and serve as an adventure kit. Dungeons & Dragons Adventurer is a brand new partwork that teaches you how to play the world’s most popular tabletop roleplaying game...

As reported on the Mastering Dungeons podcast, Dungeons & Dragons Adventurer is a weekly magazine from D&D publisher Wizards of the Coast and UK magazine publisher Hachette Partworks, designed as a magazine run to teach you D&D and serve as an adventure kit.

Dungeons & Dragons Adventurer is a brand new partwork that teaches you how to play the world’s most popular tabletop roleplaying game, with an exclusive adventure, easy step-by-step instructions and all the background information you need to start creating your own characters and becoming a D&D expert. Collect the specially designed dice given throughout the collection and join us on a wild ride through the D&D journey of a lifetime!

Each of the first four issues also comes with a free dice set, along with bigger goodies every few deliveries, inclusing dice towers, binders, keyrings, even a DM screen. A premium subscripiton throws in miniatures, too. It's kind of a combination of loot box and magazine.

There are currently 80 weekly issues planned. The first issue is £1.99, with subsequent issues costing more at £4.99 for issue #2, and then $7.99 onwards (and the premium subscription versions more at £9.49 per week). As they're weekly, that comes to about £32 per month, or £38 for premium.

The magazine is available in UK stores or via subscription.

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 9.26.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 9.28.05 PM.png

A premium subscription that includes miniatures.

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 9.29.24 PM.png

home-intro-carousel-image-4.jpeg

Dire Bare

Legend
9 pounds is too expensive for an professionally produced adventure with art as well as guidance on how to play the game?

It remains a wonder why anyone would ever want to work in this business
I'm in the US, so 9 pounds is about 11 dollars.

And yes, $11 for a magazine with lots flash and little substance, with a few okay physical items, is too expensive.

The dice offered so far are . . . okay. And how many sets of dice does a young, budding Dungeon Master need to get started? Things might improve as we start to see later issues, but so far, I am unimpressed.

For me the 'issue' is £9 a week. Every fortnight or month would fine in which case I'd pay say 15 for a much bigger monthly mag, with a bit more bling.

Li Shenron

Legend
The initiative looks good, but I would want to know if "teaching how to play D&D" is written by someone who is really savvy and sensible, or is it offering only trite advice. It is not easy even for competent DMs to avoid falling into the trap of either teaching your "true way" of playing or going too far the opposite way and ending up confusing and inconclusive.

Noddy Beholder

Explorer
Crikey! Nowhere in my city had issue 2 today. One newsagent told me the shipment had been delayed and would be here tomorrow. I was skeptical of this, but indeed nowhere had it.
I did give an issue 1 to my friend and she just rang me and asked me to pick an issue 2 for her tomorrow!

On looking at the removable pages of the magazine, I realise that not only is it for ease of organisation, it prepares new players for what will happen if they decide to buy the Players Handbook ^_^

Last edited:

Noddy Beholder

Explorer
I've managed to get 2 copies of issue 2! Asda still only had issue 1, even after they'd done the weekly mag shelf update. I ended up getting them from the local tobacco and girlie mag shop.
Not had a good look yet, but sections concentrate on humans as a race/species/whatever term doesn't upset you, rogues as a class and the Forgotten Realms as a setting. I assume they're going to cover the main 4 classes in later issues, then introduce the others later on. The cover features the 4 characters introduced in issue 1, showing they've shelled out for some specific artwork rather than stuff swiped from the rulebooks. As an aside, one piece of art I saw on the site featured some of their characters, plus what appeared to be a dragonborn barbarian. Methinks more character sheets will appear in later issues.
Spell casting is explained, as is advantage and resting and again we get a short adventure. All in all, you get quite a lot in so few pages ^_^
There is a set of dice - the ones pictured are a rich golden colour, but the ones I got looked like they were made of frozen wee from someone who had eaten a lot of glitter.
You also get a very nice map of part of the Realms, sadly the reverse is just bright red, or could be a map of the plane of red ink.
I want issue 3 for the figures, but after that, we'll have to see.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads