WotC Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Video Game Announcement Trailer

An announcement trailer for Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance premiered at The Game Awards on...

An announcement trailer for Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance premiered at The Game Awards on Thursday evening.

Developed by Tuque Games, the studio acquired earlier this year by Wizards of the Coast, the game will be a sequel of sorts in the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance action-RPG series for the Xbox, Playstation 2, and Gamecube. This game, however, will go to Icewind Dale and feature four-player co-op as you take on the roles of Drizzt Do'Urden, Cattie-Brie, Wulfgar, and Bruenor. The game is due for release in 2020.

darkalliance.png

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

Sacrosanct

Legend
If I wanted to play an action RPG, there are plenty of good ones to choose from already: Skyrim, Witcher, etc. When I want to play D&D, I want to feel like I'm playing D&D, and that's turned based (or pause-able). It seems like whenever D&D tries to go out genre, it never works well because they simply can't compete with the aforementioned Witcher or Elder Scrolls. Almost like they just think they can skate by on the D&D Brand.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Another reason why I don't like it when a game like D&D goes action RPG is because it seems a bit ableist. D&D is a game pretty much anyone can enjoy. But when you turn it into a game where thinking and planning matters less, and hand-eye coordination and reflexes matter the most, you're turning away many of your D&D fans who can't, or aren't very good, at those games.

Undrave

Legend
Another reason why I don't like it when a game like D&D goes action RPG is because it seems a bit ableist. D&D is a game pretty much anyone can enjoy. But when you turn it into a game where thinking and planning matters less, and hand-eye coordination and reflexes matter the most, you're turning away many of your D&D fans who can't, or aren't very good, at those games.

Hey good point!

It's not something that comes to mind to people who rag on turn based games as being outdated and lame. Turn based games can still provide a great experience and are greatly more accessible.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Other than some name dropping, what does this have to do with D&D?
oh, setting, story, characters, all the things that actually matter.
That looks horrible. A 10 year old with ADD might get a kick out of it though. And what's up with the death metal soundtrack?? It slayed verisimilitude is all it did
LOL “death metal”? Have you...ever listened to any metal? That isn’t what death metal sounds like.

That was hardcore bro metal, along the lines of garbage like Five Finger Death Punch.

And it’s a trailer. Why are you worried about verisimilitude in a game trailer?

🦌 lord I’m glad that dnd grognards aren’t who will determine the success or failure of a dnd video game.

Sacrosanct

Legend

Those are all just names though...name dropping. It's a completely different chassis than the actual game is built on. If I take a Chevy Chevette and put a Ferrari logo on it, it doesn't make it the same as a Ferrari. And contrary to your opinion, the fluff isn't "all the things that actually matter." The mechanics matter a lot too. Especially when many of the iconic things in D&D have to be changed because they won't work in a real time action RPG

🦌 lord I’m glad that dnd grognards aren’t who will determine the success or failure of a dnd video game.

If you have to resort to pejoratives of others' opinions, then you've already lost the argument.

Nebulous

Legend

LOL “death metal”? Have you...ever listened to any metal? That isn’t what death metal sounds like.

That was hardcore bro metal, along the lines of garbage like Five Finger Death Punch.

And it’s a trailer. Why are you worried about verisimilitude in a game trailer?

I think I'm going to ignore all that.

Remove ads

Remove ads