WotC Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Video Game Announcement Trailer

An announcement trailer for Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance premiered at The Game Awards on Thursday evening. Developed by Tuque Games, the studio acquired earlier this year by Wizards of the Coast, the game will be a sequel of sorts in the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance action-RPG series for the Xbox, Playstation 2, and Gamecube. This game, however, will go to Icewind Dale and feature...

An announcement trailer for Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance premiered at The Game Awards on Thursday evening.

Developed by Tuque Games, the studio acquired earlier this year by Wizards of the Coast, the game will be a sequel of sorts in the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance action-RPG series for the Xbox, Playstation 2, and Gamecube. This game, however, will go to Icewind Dale and feature four-player co-op as you take on the roles of Drizzt Do'Urden, Cattie-Brie, Wulfgar, and Bruenor. The game is due for release in 2020.

darkalliance.png

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

Zardnaar

Legend
Oh, it will. A DnD logo on anything will sell and they know it. I just wondering how the heck Tuque games was acquired by WotC in the first place, I guess they had a few millions to purchase a studio and were poorly guided. It's quite sad to know exactly where this is going and not being able to do anything about it. Buyers will be displeased, fans will be pissed, WotC corporate will say (again) "no more videogames" and we'll get a videogame drought once again.

Not really I don't think the last disaster had that many people using it on steam.

D&D logo on videogames is usually an indicator of low quality if anything.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Eh... I grew up playing games like Wizardry, Ultima, Zork, etc... and still play games that would be considered to have "bad" graphics. The the graphics in this game are disturbingly bad. They just look plain awful. You can defend it all you want, but I don't see this game appealing to very many gamers. It'll be in the $5 bin pretty quickly.

I don’t especially care either way, I just...don’t see what y’all are so negative about, here. It looks like a normal video game. 🤷‍♂️

ddaley

Explorer
I don’t especially care either way, I just...don’t see what y’all are so negative about, here. It looks like a normal video game. 🤷‍♂️

I play quite a few video games... ranging from old school games to modern day games, such as Division 2. This does not look like a "normal" video game... I wonder if you have some vested interest in this particular game.

Zardnaar

Legend
I play quite a few video games... ranging from old school games to modern day games, such as Division 2. This does not look like a "normal" video game... I wonder if you have some vested interest in this particular game.

Trailer looked about 10 years out of date graphically and 15 years out of date content wise.

But apart from that it was reasonably normal. Just looked and sounded bad.

Sacrosanct

Legend
D&D logo on videogames is usually an indicator of low quality if anything.

I don’t know. It seems hit or miss. We’ve had really good ones like BG series, gold box, Neverwinter Nights, and even ToEE was good. Then you’ve got stinkers like Menzoberanzan, Blood and Magic, Dark Sun, DragonStrike, and Sword Coast Legends.

So if patterns repeat, Larion’s BG game will be good, and this one will suck lol

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don’t know. It seems hit or miss. We’ve had really good ones like BG series, gold box, Neverwinter Nights, and even ToEE was good. Then you’ve got stinkers like Menzoberanzan, Blood and Magic, Dark Sun, DragonStrike, and Sword Coast Legends.

So if patterns repeat, Larion’s BG game will be good, and this one will suck lol

I wouldn't be overly confident as to which way each will go. But, yeah, a bit of a crapshoot. Making WotC an actual video game publisher is the long-term project to bring quality control in-house, but that's a long road.

Dausuul

Legend
The trailer for "Theros: Beyond Death" is about ten times more exciting and twenty times better-looking, and that's a trailer for a freakin' card game.

I was hoping Wizards would prove the naysayers (among whom I count myself) wrong about the decision to buy Tuque. So far, though, it's naysayers 1, Wizards 0.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
The main problem with the graphics, apart from anything else, is not that they're "not detailed enough", because there are many great games with simple graphics, such as Breath of the Wild, among many, many others.

The primary problem which I see is that the character models have perhaps the worst motion animations I have seen in a "serious" release for a while. Heck, Mr. D's (I'm not getting into the various spellings of his name) body is completely divorced from the motion of his arms, which are divorced from the motion of his head in the trailer. The only way I would be able to accept such awful animations and, top be frank, plastic-like graphic quality with nothing original to tie it together in a modern game would be if extreme character customization was offered.

However, from what I have read, this does not seem to be the case.

As more information has come out, the game has dropped to the murky bottom of my "games to check out or recommend" list. I'm sorry, but, as an avid player of many games myself, I simply can't accept those animations, or the graphic quality in this age, as nothing original has been done.

Remove ads

Remove ads