• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeons & Dragons Editions: Where Do You Stand?

Which version of DnD Do You Prefer More Than Any Other?

• D20 Fantasy Variant: Conan, Pathfinder, etc.

Votes: 44 10.9%
  • 2008: 4th Edition

Votes: 173 42.9%
  • 2003: D&D v.3.5E

Votes: 103 25.6%
  • 2000: D&D v.3.0E

Votes: 14 3.5%
  • 1997: Rules Cyclopedia

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • 1989: ADnD 2nd Edition

Votes: 16 4.0%
  • 1983-86: BECMI

Votes: 11 2.7%
  • 1981: Basic & Expert Set

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • 1977-79: ADnD v. 1.0

Votes: 24 6.0%
  • 1977: Basic

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • 1974: ODnD

Votes: 5 1.2%

drothgery

First Post
I can't really give a good answer here. Of 2e, 3.0, and 3.5 -- which is to say the games I've actually played at a tabletop -- I've got a strong preference for 3.5. And I prefer 3.5 to all the other non-WotC d20 fantasy variants I've read (and even own in some cases) but haven't played.

But at least on paper, I think I'd prefer 4e to 3.5 (and definitely prefer SW Saga as a system to 3.5, though that's not really standard fantasy). I don't know for sure yet; I haven't spent a month or two playing it every week.

Mercule

Adventurer
I haven't had a chance to form a full opinion on 4e, as of yet. So, I had to say 1e is my favorite, even though 4e is what I'm most interested in trying right now.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
BECMI is my favorite, and has been for more than two decades.

I play 3.5E now, and its fun too (but in a different way.)

Between the two of them, I have no need for any other editions.

Wombat

First Post
My favourite edition?

A heavy, heavy personalized, houseruled variant based on a combination of 3.0, 3.5, AU/AE, and many ideas drawn other people's games and blogs.

Other than that, I'll probably follow Diaglo back to OD&D ;)

National Acrobat

First Post
As a Player and a DM, I prefer 1E hands down. When it comes time to teach the game to my son in a couple of years, we'll start with the Basic/Expert set, which is my second favorite version.

Not surprisingly, I am also a huge fan of the original version of Gamma World also...

Scribe Ineti

Explorer
I've played most of the various editions and versions, and 4th edition is the one I'm happiest with, so it's the one I'll run over all other D&D games for a good long while.

Henrix

Explorer
I like most editions (except perhaps AD&D 2nd), but my current favourite is 4th - if not else than because it is more fun to DM than 3rd.

Humanaut

First Post
I dunno how to answer the poll... most of my time has been with 1e, or a little 2e, or maybe we played 1e with houserules of some 2e... anyway, couple decades of that, so i have most of my best gaming memories with those editions. Playing and running 3.5 right now, but we got on that wagon fairly late. I have only played and run until level 10, so i have yet to experience the joy of high level combat that people talk of.

I'd play anything really, i love that part.

To DM... well... i'm getting the feeling the more i run 3.5, the more i miss 1st/2nd ed. After almost 30 years of that i can wing stuff of about any level pretty easy. As my PC's level up, everything is a 1st in 3.5 for us... and i've killed a few PC's with some "whoops, that was not my intent". Who knows, next campaign, perhaps 3.5 with houserules to gimmie some 1e flavah, or my houseruled 1e game with... ideas stolen from 3 and 4 ed!

Dykstrav

Adventurer
I'll play any edition of D&D, they all have their charms and their shortcomings. I'm currently running a 4E game, although that's mostly because that's what the players dig. I'd run a 1E or 2E game if I could get people that would be willing to play in it.

If I had to pick a version that I could play forever, it'd probably be 2E. It's probably the weakest of all the versions, but the settings are just pure gold. Early Ravenloft, Planescape, Dark Sun and Al-Quadim can keep me endlessly entertained.

Remove ads