D&D 5E Dungeonscape no more?

Evenglare

Adventurer
Tough to say how important DS was I think. Given that many people (over the years) have said they wouldn't play 4e without a character builder makes me think that DS was pretty important. A lot of people like character builders, good ones anyway. Personally? It doesn't matter to me, but I'm not blind, I know a lot of people were looking forward to it. If they weren't then this topic wouldn't be 33 pages. It would just be a blip on the radar, which clearly is not the case. At this point I.. just feel sorry for Wizards they can't do digital correctly. They just simply cant and it sucks for them.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Step 1: Lose market leadership.​
Step 2: ???​
Step 3: Profit! :cool:

There is another take on this: Re-interpret "Lose market leadership" to "stop overdelivering marketable value; correct by reducing deliveries; refocus on more incremental deliveries with a higher price point".

A brand leader may move ahead in profit by capturing as much profit as is enabled by their monopoly position, generally, with very different delivery and pricing techniques than you will see in a more competitive market.

To fit ones thoughts around this, the goal is to price the deliveries to match their value per purchaser. That is, differential pricing, with a value just slightly higher than the price to each customer.

This of course depends on keeping market dominance (near monopoly) and on having good product control, and having a good bead on correct pricing.

I suspect the online offerings aren't there because Hasbro/WOTC hasn't figured out yet how best to monetize them.

Thx!

TomB

Bugleyman

First Post
At some point posters on these forums are like robots posting the same stuff over and over.

X posts the same argument. Y posts the same rebuttal. Z posts the same non-sequitur.

That's not discussion. It's just bots having a pissing match.

I'd simply prefer the rebuttals to rebut what I've actually written, as opposed to what people think I have written.

That said, I'll bow out of this thread. I've certainly said my piece.

mcbobbo

Explorer
The hyperbole is getting a bit tiresome, don't you think? DS was not nearly as important as you think it was. The majority of D&D customers aren't even aware it existed. Let's reign back the excitable exaggeration, eh? It's no spectacular, catastrophic, or anything else; it's a speedbump.
I think this gets less true as you zoom out. If DS is the one and only digital offering, for example, it would be a much bigger deal. I personally haven't heard of any other plans, and I was served the kool-aid about how it was the only digital tool anyone would ever need.

So I hope you're right about the speed bump thing, but you'd have to admit we are taking a small leap of faith to hope so.

pemerton

Legend
Several, however, have established significant precedents in the boardgaming venue. One that's particularly relevant is Allen v. Academic Games... JH Kim has a page discussing it: http://www.darkshire.net/jhkim/rpg/copyright/academic.html
I've had a quick read of the judgment, after looking at Kim's summary and extracts.

The notion of ideas not being copyrightable, together with the doctrine of merger of text and ideas,was key to the decision. (Because of this, the court didn't consider the issue of derivative works.) From the closing paragraph of the decision, "To hold otherwise would give Allen a monopoly on such commonplace ideas as a simple rule on how youngsters should play their games."

In the context of an RPG, it's not clear to me that the doctrine would operate in the same way, in part because (using another phrase from the decision), it's not the case that an RPG "consist of abstract rules and play ideas." It also consists of story elements. So recognising (for instance) WotC copyright in it's armour table or weapons table wouldn't necessarily give it a monopoly on rules for how we youngsters play fantasy RPGs. Other publishers would just have to use other combat systems (eg Traveller, RQ, Rolemaster, to name a few fairly traditional approaches).

aramis erak

Legend
Tough to say how important DS was I think. Given that many people (over the years) have said they wouldn't play 4e without a character builder makes me think that DS was pretty important. A lot of people like character builders, good ones anyway. Personally? It doesn't matter to me, but I'm not blind, I know a lot of people were looking forward to it. If they weren't then this topic wouldn't be 33 pages. It would just be a blip on the radar, which clearly is not the case. At this point I.. just feel sorry for Wizards they can't do digital correctly. They just simply cant and it sucks for them.

There already is a good one for 5E. It's just not licensed...

aramis erak

Legend
I've had a quick read of the judgment, after looking at Kim's summary and extracts.

The notion of ideas not being copyrightable, together with the doctrine of merger of text and ideas,was key to the decision. (Because of this, the court didn't consider the issue of derivative works.) From the closing paragraph of the decision, "To hold otherwise would give Allen a monopoly on such commonplace ideas as a simple rule on how youngsters should play their games."

In the context of an RPG, it's not clear to me that the doctrine would operate in the same way, in part because (using another phrase from the decision), it's not the case that an RPG "consist of abstract rules and play ideas." It also consists of story elements. So recognising (for instance) WotC copyright in it's armour table or weapons table wouldn't necessarily give it a monopoly on rules for how we youngsters play fantasy RPGs. Other publishers would just have to use other combat systems (eg Traveller, RQ, Rolemaster, to name a few fairly traditional approaches).

I don't see much in the way of story elements in a typical core rulebook. I do see lots of formulae, and lots of procedures that are, in a very real way, program code for the human brain.

pemerton

Legend
I don't see much in the way of story elements in a typical core rulebook.
I do.

In a game that consists of "abstract rules and play ideas", the ideas are things like (say) moving counters around a board in a race game. This idea can't be copyrighted, and so where the doctrine of merger of ideas and text operates, the producer of a ludo, backgammon, etc set can't copyright his/her rulebook.

But in an RPG, the rules are not abstract play ideas. They convey particular events in a fiction - eg a fight between a hero and some goblins. There are other ways to express that idea without having to reproduce the D&D rules text: RuneQuest and RoleMaster are just two examples of this.

If you are going to argue that the idea is something else - not the idea of the fiction but an abstract mechanical idea along the lines of "rolling a d20 and adding an attack modifier to see if a declared attack hits a pre-given armour class" - then perhaps the merger doctrine might operate.

But this requires establishing what the relevant idea is which can't be copyrighted. I don't know enough copyright law to express a view on that, but to my intuitions it is not obvious that the abstract mechanic is the relevant idea, rather than a particular textual way of expressing a story idea which hasn't merged with that story to thereby become uncopyrightable. Nor is it obvious that that it isn't.

The best (if short) discussion I know of on this board of these issues is on this thread (post 360 and then a few of the posts following, mostly from [MENTION=463]S'mon[/MENTION]).

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
And I've watched them all as well, starting with 2E. I don't share your opinion. I think 5E is definitely better than 4E, but frankly that bar wasn't very high.

The spectacular failure of DS wasn't just a set-back...it was a practical inevitability given WotC's record with digital products. Many predicted it in advance. And now that it has happened, it just serves as another piece of evidence that D&D deserves better than WotC/Hasbro is willing or able to provide.

They've got a great product in 5E, but watching them punch themselves in the face over and over is simply...exhausting.
I was going to quote just the first paragraph but these forums are awful on a mobile phone.

You hit the nail on the head with your first paragraph. 4th edition had problems from the start and they never ended through out it's short run so saying the next edition did better than the previous edition isn't saying a whole lot. Wizards hasn't been at the top of their game in years. 5th edition is doing well, but it's not doing anything ground breaking.

sgtscott658

First Post
Hi-

Totally disagree, 5th edition for me is so much easier to write up pre gens and actually play the game. If you do not use feats, 5E comes very close to 1E. To me, the feats make 5E more complicated and are when all is said and done, not worth the trouble or effort. To me, 5E is a very well thought out version of D&D that tries to harken back to the grand old days of sitting around a table with beer, mary jane, coke cans filled with cigarette butts and your buddies playing an awesome game of D&D.

Scott

I was going to quote just the first paragraph but these forums are awful on a mobile phone.

You hit the nail on the head with your first paragraph. 4th edition had problems from the start and they never ended through out it's short run so saying the next edition did better than the previous edition isn't saying a whole lot. Wizards hasn't been at the top of their game in years. 5th edition is doing well, but it's not doing anything ground breaking.

Remove ads