D&D 5E Dungeonscape no more?

LWDLiz

First Post
Well, let's see what people need.

GMs
1. A tool that let them plan and write the adventure. As a friend said, something like scrivener.
2. A tool for creating encounters, implemented in the "scrivener - style" app.
3. The ability to insert images and maps
4. A tablet app that will be able to "read" all the above. It shouldn't do a lot of fancy things. Just show the text, double tap to show images in fullscreen, maybe the ability to subtract hp from monsters. It should present the content, not edit it.

While not D&D specific, you should check out Realm Works. (Full disclosure, I work for Lone Wolf - the company that created Realm Works and also Hero Lab.) But it's campaign neutral, and fits the bill for #1-3. We're planning a web app in the future, which would work for tablet users.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Use Tapatalk.

And the whole argument about copyright comes down to this. If WotC sends a C&D (or pursues legal action) unless you can afford to defend yourself (or get a LOT of community support or pro bono work), WotC will win. Who ever has the cash (or can hold out the longest) wins.

A C&D is just a letter. It's not a lawsuit. :)

fantasmamore

Explorer
To me none of that stuff is needed, a pen, notebook, index cards and you are good to go.

Scott

Well, yes, if you don't actually write the adventure. However, not all people have great improvisation skills. I don't even remember what happened to my players 2 weeks ago. But I understand what you mean.

Kaychsea

Explorer
Well, yes, if you don't actually write the adventure. However, not all people have great improvisation skills. I don't even remember what happened to my players 2 weeks ago. But I understand what you mean.

The notebook can be used for more than characters. Most of my homebrew is in those.

shayneb

First Post
I believe Fantasy Grounds does all of the above-mentioned things and works on Macs. No offense to the makers of RealmWorks, but I have used both, and found Fantasy Grounds superior for all-inclusive campaign-planning. Just my "humble" opinion.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I believe Fantasy Grounds does all of the above-mentioned things and works on Macs. No offense to the makers of RealmWorks, but I have used both, and found Fantasy Grounds superior for all-inclusive campaign-planning. Just my "humble" opinion.

It does character generation? I did not know that!

shayneb

First Post
It does character generation? I did not know that!

I do not know if it can do something like random NPC or character generation (haven't tried), but it definitely has character sheets that you can create, including auto-calculating of some fields, and the ability to do things like enter hit dice and attack stats that are rollable within the program. I've tried probably five programs (from MasterPlan to RealmWorks to Roll20), and find Fantasy Grounds the most all-inclusive and just generally "cool" for MY purposes. Obviously, YMMV.

But I definitely think it's at least worth checking out the demo (it's not too expensive to buy).

Remove ads