D&D 5E Dungeonscape no more?

PinkRose

Explorer
DAMMMIT!!!!!
I want digital D&D.
I've been waiting since Core Rules 1.0 CD was installed on my Win95 PC.
16 years!
I want WotC to get this right.
I was so looking forward to this.
I am beyond frustrated.

I'm sorry Hobo. I hope things work out for you all. And if it's an open license kind of thing, I look forward to DungeonScape becoming a real product soon.

Ricochet

Explorer
Beta was going very slow. It would have been months before anything workable was available.

Realistically, they should have made all this software ready for the launch, but even when they didn't, they ought to put some serious commitment into it or simply not bother.

I'm not sure where the fault lies, but I'm hoping we'll see some kind of new tool from another Wizards partner through this, and hoping that web-development will be key rather than aim for iOS development as the primary platform.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
If Hasbro thinks that D&D has some value, it needs to have some professional managers - genuine managers with actual executive experience - running D&D. Sure, "suits" are disparaged but it's clear the gamers need some adult supervision.

Look at Google, although there is a monumental difference in scale. The creative guys realised they needed adult supervision - aka proper management - so Eric Schmidt was brought in. Now Hasbro couldn't afford someone of Eric Schmidt's calibre, but I am sure they can afford to hire at least one professional manager for the D&D team.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
If Hasbro thinks that D&D has some value, it needs to have some professional managers - genuine managers with actual executive experience - running D&D. Sure, "suits" are disparaged but it's clear the gamers need some adult supervision.

Look at Google, although there is a monumental difference in scale. The creative guys realised they needed adult supervision - aka proper management - so Eric Schmidt was brought in. Now Hasbro couldn't afford someone of Eric Schmidt's calibre, but I am sure they can afford to hire at least one professional manager for the D&D team.

That'll be Nathan Stewart, I imagine.

Henrix

Explorer
I am both saddened and relieved at these news.

Saddened because there were things I liked about it, and think it had potential. Also for the sake of Trapdoor.

But relieved because so little progress was made, at least as far as I could see with the web beta. It was useless, as others have said. You could not even make characters in it.

As for this delaying software, I cannot see it. Nothing happened with Dungeonscape.

(I also preferred the name Morningstar. Sounds much better than another weird neologism. D&D Morningstar would have been better.)

Perhaps the license could be given to some company that already makes software like this. Character building, scenario and campaign management, possibly battlefield implementation - it's not like it is untrodden ground.

Rather give us something that is fairly good but working, and then refining it, than trying to get it perfect in two years time.

This is extremely disappointing news. I didn't participate in the beta, so I can't say anything about the current state of the software, but me and my group loved the character builder in 4E and really want something similar for 5E.

Gargoyle

Adventurer
The only thing frustrating here for me is how WotC and their licensees lets us get our hopes up on digital projects then dashes them to the rocks. Not sure why they can't learn to keep these things low key until the business side is firm. I can't blame Trap Door, WotC has such a checkered history in this area that it's clear that they have a problem setting expectations and/or managing these type of licensees.

It's a double edged sword though, I want them to expose this stuff to us in early stages, like the 5e playtest; there is bound to be some disappointment when a project needs to have its plug pulled. And I do applaud both sides for making the hard decisions it must have taken to get to this point.

aramis erak

Legend
DAMMMIT!!!!!
I want digital D&D.
I've been waiting since Core Rules 1.0 CD was installed on my Win95 PC.
16 years!
I want WotC to get this right.
I was so looking forward to this.
I am beyond frustrated.

I'm sorry Hobo. I hope things work out for you all. And if it's an open license kind of thing, I look forward to DungeonScape becoming a real product soon.

Try 18 years... It was 1996 when the CD came out. Actually, I was one of those chomping at the bit for it when first announced.

It wasn't much use to me, either, because it was bound up as a windows program set... until it got hacked for the RTF's inside. (Kaypro old-II, Apple II and Mac user. Kaypro and the IIGS still work. And I use android, not iOS...)

Remove ads