D&D 5E Dungeonscape no more?

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Read the thread, remarkably calm considering the past on simiilar topics. Got invited to the web betya at the end of October. Had a chance to get one look at it before going to a con and taking a week off and come back to see it canned. First impression was that it had a very long way to go. I have a hard time seeing how the iOs version could be much better since it should be using the same backbone.

What do I think, now?

I think that I do not need an char-builder. I can knock a character sheet in excel in no-time flat for 5e it that is what I need or an editable pdf would also do. I do not really need an e-version of the books though if one were available as an ebook rather than pdf I would buy it.

What I do want is monster stat blocks at will and maps for published adventures with some attached meta data. pixel size and pixels per unit length so I can adjust them to work with a VTT. Roll20 is my choice and I would like character and monster tokens for use with the same.
And to be honest I would prefer to get them as a service for a small subscription than buy them
As a service they are available while I need them and the service provider curates them while when I buy them sit on a hard drive and disappear when that drive fails or I rebuild the machine or what ever.

One interesting thing with the Dungeonscape product is that a Forge user driven content maketplace was envisioned, so somewhere in the bowels of WoTC the vision of Gleemax still lives on.

So if I could command WoTC to obey me, I would like the graphical elements of published adventures available, optimised for use in a VTT, while being agnostic as to what VTT. The statblocks and adventure could also accompany this as a pdf in the delve format. Or a hyperlinked document that takes from DM map and room description to the statblocks and back. Start with that the rest is gravy.

jeffwhitfield

First Post
That is incorrect.

The Basic Rules, while free to download, are still covered by copyright. You cannot legally reproduce their content, any more than you can legally reproduce content from the print version of the PHB.

Let us be clear - how much you charge, or how much WotC charges, for content is irrelevant to copyright protection. They wrote and published it. They own it. Unless they specifically make a different license available standard copyright applies.

This point is important for a simple reason - EN World does not support copyright infringement. As a general rule, we do not allow the site to be used to distribute blatantly infringing materials - so until WotC puts out some official policy, if folks start giving links to software alternates that are not obviously in the clear, we are likely to have to start stomping on the links.

I'm sorry to be a wet blanket about this, but that's the way it is, folks. Legality matters, so please don't go that way. Thanks.

Nah, you're not being a wet blanket. Very, very good point. Thanks for the correction! :)

I think what I meant was that getting permission to use stuff from the Basic Rules is much, much easier. WotC isn't likely to get pissed if you do that. It's the published books that they make money off of where they really raise a stink. I think if app developers were to just concentrate on the basic rules but make it easy to incorporate your own parameters (ie. stuff from PHB, MM, and DMG) then it'll be much easier to get the WotC to approve a bunch of this stuff.

Actually, no, Dungeonscape never worked. It was a confusing mess and wasn't at all useable, especially on tablets (ie. iPad).

I was not referring to Dungeonscape. This comment was on the fan made character generator that was released when the PHB hit.

I don't have any experience with Dungeonscape, and so offer no comment on it's functionality.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think what I meant was that getting permission to use stuff from the Basic Rules is much, much easier.

It is? I find that surprising. Has anybody done so?

WotC isn't likely to get pissed if you do that.

Well, no, not if you've gotten permission, no. If you haven't, they'll get very pissed off with you very quickly.

It's the published books that they make money off of where they really raise a stink.

Again - it is?

As an aside, the basic stuff is excerpted directly from the books. It's the same content.

I strongly advise people not to reproduce or distribute the content of the basic rules if WotC hasn't specifically licensed you to do so.

MagicSN

First Post
[MENTION=177]Umbran[/MENTION]: i fully agree with you. Even if it isvery frustrating for me I will not give out any of the stuff I wrote. I will try to talk with WotC on the issue though and discuss if there would be possibilities regarding a license. I do not have much hope regarding this discussion though
[MENTION=6777052]BoldItalic[/MENTION]: I know Prolog though I never did a real project with it. 100k? Wow, nice work. I guess it is so much smaller as you do bot have the powercards and attack/damage calculations in. My gui basically is part of the framework i use so it was nearly no work, the gui part. The personal pronoun feature you have - this is sonething the hero lab framework cannot do.

jeffwhitfield

First Post
It is? I find that surprising. Has anybody done so?

Well, no, not if you've gotten permission, no. If you haven't, they'll get very pissed off with you very quickly.

Again - it is?

As an aside, the basic stuff is excerpted directly from the books. It's the same content.

I strongly advise people not to reproduce or distribute the content of the basic rules if WotC hasn't specifically licensed you to do so.

The d20 Fight Club app is based on the Basic Rules and includes some content from it like spells and such so I can only presume they got permission from WotC to release it. Either that or WotC doesn't really care so long as you don't include content from the books. Dunno. But this does raise questions. :p

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The d20 Fight Club app is based on the Basic Rules and includes some content from it like spells and such so I can only presume they got permission from WotC to release it. Either that or WotC doesn't really care so long as you don't include content from the books. Dunno. But this does raise questions. :p

It doesn't really raise questions. Either the creators of that app got a license from WotC, or it's illegally using copyrighted material. They're the only two options.

Obviously we don't know which it is. But the permission option seems unlikely; WotC wouldn't be likely (at the time) to undermine DungeonScape so blatantly.

The "doesn't care" has been shown to be untrue. WotC has sent C&Ds to spell card websites which included the spell content from the basic rules.

hardvice

First Post
WOTC was pretty clear that they weren't going to license anything until after the DMG was released, at the earliest, on the theory that they didn't want people releasing licensed content for a game that's only half finished. (I suppose one could point out that that's essentially what's happened with HotDQ and RoT, funnily enough). So I'm guessing anyone using Basic content is just playing the odds that WOTC won't go after them for it.

And in the case of most character creation apps, they might be right. Unlike spell cards, which don't exist at all without licensed content, a character sheet app can pull out the basic data and still have a functioning product, albeit a fairly user-unfriendly one. And since the Basic rules are available as a PDF, the end user would just end up cut-and-pasting the content back in anyway (and be well within the "personal use" granted to them in doing so).

My guess then is that WOTC probably doesn't see much value (yet, without a competing product) in going after character sheet apps with content from the Basic rules, but probably does see digital spell cards as directly competing products for Galeforce 9's licensed spellbook cards.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see that, once WOTC does end up releasing licensing terms to the general public, the Basic rules end up being free to use in non-commercial works. But that's certainly not the case right now, and anyone doing so is at the mercy of WOTC.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
WOTC was pretty clear that they weren't going to license anything until after the DMG was released, at the earliest, on the theory that they didn't want people releasing licensed content for a game that's only half finished.

No, that was referring to any possible announcements about open licenses. They have licensed stuff to Trapdoor, Gale Force 9, WizKids, and possibly more we don't know of already (though they just terminated Tradoor's license).

Remove ads