D&D 5E duplicate proficiency

Satyrn

First Post
I don't get your objection. Just to reduce flexibility? I'll reiterate my question: What, precisely, is the abuse you are seeing that you wish to curb?
I wonder if he'd be horrified that my gnome battlemaster speaks dwarven and is proficient in Stealth, thieves' tools, and alchemist's supplies.

Although that last item is from Student of War.

MostlyDm

Explorer
I wonder if he'd be horrified that my gnome battlemaster speaks dwarven and is proficient in Stealth, thieves' tools, and alchemist's supplies.

Although that last item is from Student of War.

Maybe. I honestly don't know, which is why I asked.

I mean, to me, you're describing one of my favorite things about 5e: how flexible every class is.

If you see a guy in leather armor sneak past some guards, pick a lock to obtain important battle plans, draw his sword to cut down the guards that burst in upon him, use a crossbow to shoot a guard coming down the hallway, then leap out the window and feather fall to safety... what class is he?

Because he can essentially be any class in the game, or very nearly. And probably at least six or so without it even straining the mechanics.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'd go broad reading.

First, because I feel it's correct as rules-as-intended. I think it's just located there because that's where it first comes up when creating a character, instead of burying it elsewhere away from it's most likely use.

Second, because characters can gain still from classes beyond 1st level and shouldn't be penalized for having a coherent concept where a needed background skill is delayed until whenever because that's when the class would grant it.

Third, the only coherent reason not to I've seen is so players don't optimize to pick off their list, but customizing a background and picking ANY skills/tools/lanaguage and features (or working with DM to make new features) is already a basic rule (and not an optional one). PHB, pg 124.

CritNerd

Villager
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say it depends entirely on the play group. I've played in a couple of groups with different DM's with completely different styles and "tones" for the game and enjoyed them all. One, was consistently focused on narrow interpretation of the rules. The key here is "consistent". One of the others was much more laissez-fair and house ruled many situations where they made sense for the story. Both of these totally work for me and I condemn neither. I come here to have fun and enjoy group story telling while my Battle Master attempts to Trip Attack that freakin' Orc AGAIN! (rolls a 2!) AAaaarrrgggghhhh!!!

Remove ads