• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Duration of Temporary HPs, Eberron Edition

Obryn

Hero
We recently had a thread about how long temporary HPs last. I think the general consensus is that, RAW, temporary HPs could last all day - or, at any rate, until a Short or Extended Rest.

My interpretation was that, like any effect duration, they can only last a maximum of 5 minutes.

Now that the EPG is out, there are two abilities which (IMHO) become insanely broken if THPs can last more than 5 minutes...

(1) Artificer - Healing Infusion: Resistive Formula. This is a 2/encounter power which grants Healing Surge + Artificer's Con Modifier THPs. With this, every PC can have 1 surge worth of THPs going into every fight if the duration of THPs is effectively unlimited. It's basically a 25%+ HP boost, without a healing surge cost.

(2) Channel Divinity - Kol Korran's Boon. It's an Encounter Channel Divinity. If a healing power grants a PC more than their maximum HPs, they gain the surplus as THPs. This one at least requires that the target spend a healing surge, but it's basically THPs equal to cleric healing in most circumstances.

If a duration cap on THPs isn't RAW, it's suddenly my new favorite house rule. :)

-O

chaotix42

First Post
For the artificer's Resistive Formula, I thought it only affects 1 creature in the burst? Also, the artificer only gets his Curative Admixture/Resistive Formula twice a day (thrice a day at 16th), and to recharge them he or an ally has to spend a healing surge. It's like a loan.

Obryn

Hero
For the artificer's Resistive Formula, I thought it only affects 1 creature in the burst? Also, the artificer only gets his Curative Admixture/Resistive Formula twice a day (thrice a day at 16th), and to recharge them he or an ally has to spend a healing surge. It's like a loan.
Ahhh, good call on the daily formula limits.

I'd missed that, since it's so ... different ... from any other Leader.

Still, my issues stand. :)

-O

chaotix42

First Post
Indeed, it's quite unique! My players love the idea: the characters with fewer healing surges can get a healing loan that the ones with many surges can pay off for them!

FWIW I've been running THP the same way - they only last until the end of the encounter/5 minutes, unless an effect were to say otherwise. I don't recall coming across any such effect yet.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Indeed, it's quite unique! My players love the idea: the characters with fewer healing surges can get a healing loan that the ones with many surges can pay off for them!

FWIW I've been running THP the same way - they only last until the end of the encounter/5 minutes, unless an effect were to say otherwise. I don't recall coming across any such effect yet.

I've only noticed one - an armor in Adventurer's Vault that gives you temp hit points that last until you take a long rest (and then gives you new temp hit points after a long rest). You also lose them if you take the armor off. Stone armor or something.

chitzk0i

Explorer
I don't really see much of a problem. I think everyone can agree that THPs ought to go away after an extended rest, but aside from that, once the character gets hit, those THPs are gone.

Now, if your artificer is slapping resistive formula on the battlerager in the morning and he's spamming crushing surge to keep adding to his THPs... rush the squishies!

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
This wasn't what I was expecting, but from page 294 of the PHB:
Last until You Rest: Your temporary hit points last until they’re reduced to 0 by damage or until you take a rest.
That makes me think that unless the power specifies otherwise, they're intended to last longer than an encounter. That opens up some interesting applications for some powers, and should allow for more temp HP. I'm not sure what I make of that.

--Steve

Flipguarder

First Post
This wasn't what I was expecting, but from page 294 of the PHB:

That makes me think that unless the power specifies otherwise, they're intended to last longer than an encounter. That opens up some interesting applications for some powers, and should allow for more temp HP. I'm not sure what I make of that.

--Steve

It may just be the way my games are played/run but how often do you really have two separate encounters without a short rest in between?

Also the only way temp hp stacks is with a special fighter build, and they don't even stack that much.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
It may just be the way my games are played/run but how often do you really have two separate encounters without a short rest in between?

Also the only way temp hp stacks is with a special fighter build, and they don't even stack that much.
Honestly it depends on the game. I have some players who are "no resting...let's go for it" types, and I've also played in several RPGA events that weren't challenging enough to create a need to rest.

In general, you have a good point, however. Where it could be a problem would be when you do the short rest, and then generate all of the temp hp, so that you have them at the start of the next encounter without having to spend the actions to generate them.

--Steve

Remove ads