• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Duskblade Arcane Channeling combo with Arcane Strike?

Sporelock

First Post
Is there any existing rule that would prevent a Duskblade from using the Arcane Channeling ability with the feat Arcane Strike (Complete Warrior) on the same attack? Arcane Strike is a free action so it seems like it should work and since he can’t do it until 9th it sounds good, but not unbalancing.

For example, a Duskblade 9th could cast Shocking Grasp and use Arcane Strike using up a 3rd level slot and his first attack would be +3 to hit, do regular weapon damage, +5d6 electricity damage and +3d6 arcane damage. The Arcane Strike would affect all his attacks for the round. He would give up 5 levels worth of his spells, but he would have a nice round of combat.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Sporelock said:
Is there any existing rule that would prevent a Duskblade from using the Arcane Channeling ability with the feat Arcane Strike (Complete Warrior) on the same attack? Arcane Strike is a free action so it seems like it should work and since he can’t do it until 9th it sounds good, but not unbalancing.

For example, a Duskblade 9th could cast Shocking Grasp and use Arcane Strike using up a 3rd level slot and his first attack would be +3 to hit, do regular weapon damage, +5d6 electricity damage and +3d6 arcane damage. The Arcane Strike would affect all his attacks for the round. He would give up 5 levels worth of his spells, but he would have a nice round of combat.

Technically, your assertion and hypothetical example are correct (if memory serves me correctly).

However, as a DM, I often look at abilities classified as "free actions" in older supplements (the pre-swift and pre-immediate action era) and reclassify them as "immediate actions" or "swift actions" and this ability seems to me to be on par with a swift action. So it might be reasonable to house rule it as such.

Ilium

First Post
One quibble: I'm pretty sure arcane strike does 1d4/spell level, not 1d6. Other than that, though, yes it should be a legal combo. I'd allow it for sure.

chaotix42

First Post
As a DM I'm also prone to changing a few previously "free action" abilities to swift actions, but not always. In this case I've certainly already ruled Arcane Strike a swift action in my games.

RAW, though? Perfectly allowable. :D

Question

First Post
I thought 13th level was when you could affect multiple targets with arcane channeling and iterative attacks.

I see no problems with this combo. If he wants to burn all his spell slots in 1-2 encounters so be it, he will be screwed later on.

Corsair

First Post
Question said:
I thought 13th level was when you could affect multiple targets with arcane channeling and iterative attacks.

I see no problems with this combo. If he wants to burn all his spell slots in 1-2 encounters so be it, he will be screwed later on.

The arcane channel is a standard action which allows 1 attack. It can't be used with full attacks until 13th. I think we are agreeing, which is why I am kind of confused by your statement.

Remove ads