Dwarven defender question .

Nyaricus

First Post
the Jester said:
Hmm, how do you know this? These are both changes that I have used in my low-magic game (as well as a number of other mods to the game).
Yeah, I'm curious to know how you were privy to that sort of info.

Personally, I also only use Imp Toughness and Dodge which gives +1 Dodge AC in my games, so that's kinda funny :p

cheers,
--N

IanB

First Post
Toughness is a feat which benefits greatly from the re-training rules in PHB II. Now a caster can take it for some early level survivability without penalizing themselves in the long run.

As far as pre-reqs go, though, I would not make the change. Prestige classes need to have some cost in their prerequisites, IMO, and toughness provides part of that cost for the dwarven defender.

Endur

First Post
the Jester said:
Hmm, how do you know this? These are both changes that I have used in my low-magic game (as well as a number of other mods to the game).

Sometime before 3.5 was released, Ed Stark (I think it was Ed Stark) gave an interview on the on-line radio. He discussed a number of changes, including toughness, dodge, and endurance. Do a search on En World and you can probably find a link to the thread discussing the interview. No idea if the interview is still on the web or not.

the Jester

Legend
Endur said:
Sometime before 3.5 was released, Ed Stark (I think it was Ed Stark) gave an interview on the on-line radio. He discussed a number of changes, including toughness, dodge, and endurance. Do a search on En World and you can probably find a link to the thread discussing the interview. No idea if the interview is still on the web or not.

Thanks! :)

I'll have to check that out- I'm always very interested in "behind the scenes" discussion of what kinds of choices were made and why when it comes to design elements. In fact, the "behind the curtain" sidebars in Red Hand of Doom are one of my favorite adventure innovations in years. ;)

starwed

First Post
In one game I play in, our DM changed the prereqs from Toughness to Improved Toughness, and from Dodge to Heavy Armor Optimization. (I can't remember if the Endurance prereq was changed.)

It's a nice class, but given that all the prereq feats are kind of sub-optimal, it's nice to be flexible with them.

Remove ads