Dwarven Sayings

Wilphe

Adventurer
Most of the proverbs recorded by Plutarch to various Spartan personalities seem appropriate to the Dwarfen lifestyle:

eg:

8. Another woman was burying her son, when an ordinary old woman came up to her and said: 'Poor woman, what a misfortune.' The first woman said, 'No, what good fortune, by the twin gods, for this is why I bore him, so that he might die for Sparta, and now that is what has come to pass'.

Brasidas caught a mouse among his dried figs, which bit him, and he let it go. Whereupon, turning to the company, Nothing, said he, is so small which may not save itself, if it have the valour to defend itself against its aggressors.

When another asked what was the number of the Lacedaemonians, Sufficient, said he, to defend themselves from wicked men.
To another that asked him the same question, If you should see them fight, said he, you would think them to be many.

CLEOMENES. To one that promised to give him hardy cocks, that would die fighting, Please, said he, give me cocks that will kill fighting.

http://www.attalus.org/old/sayings2.html
(The top ones are Spartans down as far as Antalcidas)

http://www.stoa.org/diotima/anthology/wlgr/wlgr-greeklegal99.shtml

I read a Warhammer novel that had the Phrase "By Gharaz's (whatever thier god is called) Great Hairy Danglies!"

It does have the effect of causing a very severe, mental image.

Other ones:

"I'd rather shave my grandmother's beard!"

"If you wake up next to an ogress. The ale must have been good"

"Twas like looking up a giant's kilt"

"Eating Troll-steak"

Sanackranib

First Post
Ahzad said:
going off of memory b/c i can't find the character sheet, and the book (the tolkien companion) the phrase comes from is in storage, but i had a dwarf pc, kyan redaxe the dreadbeard who used to shout "Barak Khazad ai meniou", spelling is awful, but it translates to "the axes of the dwarves are upon you"

so you quote ELVEN from the similirian? have you no shame?

dragonhead

First Post
"who needsh a sheild when yoush gots an ale in that hand" said by a gamer in my group after the dwarven fighter faild his balance saved while fighting drunk, right as arrows came his way.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Sanackranib said:
so you quote ELVEN from the similirian? have you no shame?

"Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai menu!" is Dwarven, and means "Axes of the Dwarves! The Dwarves are upon you!"

And it comes from the Lord of the Rings, in the appendices. It's one of the few phrases from Dwarven non-Dwarves have heard.

Remove ads