E. Gary Gygax Sr. May Have Had Another, More Recent Will?

That's kind-of my feeling as well. D&D is more popular than ever, and sure, there's a ton of nostalgia for Gygax's old D&D work. But the lack of anything more recent in the public eye for years has meant that it's mostly just old gamers like me that care. New D&D fans maybe might be interested in something like a Castle Greyhawk release if you billed it as the original D&D dungeon and had Wizards of the Coast behind it, but the return on investment for Castle Zagyg or Lejendary Adventures would be significantly less.

I don't think that will ever happen and I think the prime time for Gygax materials has passed. I had high hopes for the C&C Castle but alas that got pulled. :(

MGibster

Legend
That's kind-of my feeling as well. D&D is more popular than ever, and sure, there's a ton of nostalgia for Gygax's old D&D work. But the lack of anything more recent in the public eye for years has meant that it's mostly just old gamers like me that care. New D&D fans maybe might be interested in something like a Castle Greyhawk release if you billed it as the original D&D dungeon and had Wizards of the Coast behind it, but the return on investment for Castle Zagyg or Lejendary Adventures would be significantly less.

I have a lot of fond memories of earlier AD&D adventures, but, man, I don't have any interest in playing or running Gygaxian dungeons these days.

I part suspect that Castle Greyhawk may be a motivating factor in a lot of this. This needs the IP owned by WoTC to be successful. And the Gygax with the relationship with WotC is not Gail. It's Luke. I suspect DeSantos realised that the only way the IP was to be successful was for it to be in the hands of Luke (and I believe he actually asked Gail to bring Luke on board, but there's way too much bad blood for that to happen).

I'm fine with doing so at a con, or for a one-shot. Risking a PC I've spent years playing, not so much. With the right DM, maybe.

I have a lot of fond memories of earlier AD&D adventures, but, man, I don't have any interest in playing or running Gygaxian dungeons these days.

Seems likely. Luke has been the Gygax face for years now.

I part suspect that Castle Greyhawk may be a motivating factor in a lot of this. This needs the IP owned by WoTC to be successful. And the Gygax with the relationship with WotC is not Gail. It's Luke. I suspect DeSantos realised that the only way the IP was to be successful was for it to be in the hands of Luke (and I believe he actually asked Gail to bring Luke on board, but there's way too much bad blood for that to happen).

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Luke Gygax is one of my Facbook friends and he posted this and made it public to be shared.

"Attention Collector’s. Paul Stormberg confirmed that these items are being auctioned by Gail Gygax. That means that these are very likely from my father’s collection. My siblings recently discovered a Last Will and Testament that appears to be valid and witnessed by Gail and Alex Gygax however it was never filed. We have petitioned to have the Will recognized and probate opened. So the property here if part of my fathers estate could be in question. Paul was informed of this months ago and is still auctioning the items. I find that problematic personally whether it is legal or not."

This would seem to answer some of the questions from earlier in the thread.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
This isn't a situation where the most recent will was lost or hidden before being discovered as those who had custody and/or knowledge of Gary's most recent will deliberately withheld it from the court. In Wisconsin, the person who has custody of the will is required by law to either file it with the court or present it to the personal representative within 30 days of finding out about the death of the testator. Any person who has reason to believe a will exist and has not been filed is required to inform the court within 30 days after they have that information.

So apparently the answer is that the will was in fact lost or hidden before being discovered some time in the last 18 months.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Also this from FB from Luke Gygax, "I just got a copy of the Will a few months back and took action to see my fathers will be enacted."

MGibster

Legend
So apparently the answer is that the will was in fact lost or hidden before being discovered some time in the last 18 months.

Sure. And apparently two witnesses had reason to believe a will existed but was not filed failed to inform the court within 30 days of the death. It'll be interesting to see how this all pans out.

Remove ads